Thread: First Algeciras Scenario

Default First Algeciras Scenario

We are about four hours into playing a scenario I worked up for First Algeciras. Not sure how much longer it's going to run, but I'm pretty pleased with the scenario mechanics so far. I've attached a PDF file with the scenario.

Name:  SAM_1772 (2).jpg
Views: 290
Size:  130.3 KB

I didn't include any victory conditions for the moment, because I'm not sure of them yet. So that you would have to judge for yourself. Also I wish we had played this one with a reduced rate of damage--I meant to put together a custom damage-counter set, but didn't get around to it.

I seem to recall that one of the contest winners also did this battle, and I don't know how mine will stack up. Anyway I figured maybe people would be interested in taking a look at it in the meantime. I'll post an AAR once we're finished, probably have to wait until next weekend...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

Had a brief read of your scenario. Very nice setup, I do like the various special rules. Are they used as intended and does the scenario come close to the real battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Had a brief read of your scenario. Very nice setup, I do like the various special rules. Are they used as intended and does the scenario come close to the real battle?
    So far I think the rules have been successful in capturing the feel of the battle. The scenario seems to do a good job of showing why harbor defenses are hard to assault, and why that battle was so frustrating for the British.

The wind rules feel like a winner. Alternating between light winds and calm, and dividing the wind up into 3 independent zones does seem to capture the way that different ships had very different experiences of the battle, and impedes the British in creating and executing their battle plan or using their forces in a concerted mass.

I'm also liking the gunboats (rules lifted from David Manley). At first glance they seem quite puny, but they are actually a potent equalizer for the French. It feels like a waste of a broadside to target them, so they have lasted longer than I expected. And if your ship loses the wind, they are likely to row into your blind spot and rake you with no way to respond.

I haven't had a chance to use the towing rules yet, my son just took his first ship aground. But I will probably be too softhearted to target his boats if he puts some in the water

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Algeciras

The "victory conditions" historically were fairly simple: The British sought to destroy the French; the French sought to avoid being destroyed. To that end, then: If at scenario's end, the number of French ships destroyed equals or exceeds the number remaining, Britain wins; if not, France wins. Each British ship destroyed cancels out one French ship destroyed. ("Destroyed" here means "sunk, captured, or otherwise no longer combat-capable".)

To that end, the historic outcome was: French victory in the First, British victory in the Second (tho' most of that victory can be attributed to Spanish incompetence -- two of their ships killed each other).

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I really like the format of your scenario set-up and rules. Gave a brief history to set the stage, plus all the data needed to play it. Great job!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tess

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    We are about four hours into playing a scenario I worked up for First Algeciras. Not sure how much longer it's going to run, but I'm pretty pleased with the scenario mechanics so far. I've attached a PDF file with the scenario. ..... I'll post an AAR once we're finished, probably have to wait until next weekend...
    Dave (Walram) printed out your scenario and showed it to some of us here at Olympic Cards & Comics. Wow!!! "Nice setup" doesn't begin to cover it. It reads like a professional (I especially like the ship to SOG ship cross reference). Looking forward to the AAR. Glad you didn't pick on your son -- we're counting on having him when we do Glorious First of June. Happy Sailing!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As stated by others this is an exceptional scenario. Looking forward to the AAR.

One must live vicariously as I doubt something this detailed would ever occur locally outside of a convention venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbooks View Post
    Dave (Walram) printed out your scenario and showed it to some of us here at Olympic Cards & Comic
    Thanks for the kind words. Obviously the Nile scenario inspired us! We are lacking the bling you guys worked up for the Nile--I miss the custom ship cards and pennants, etc., they added a lot more to the experience then I would have expected beforehand.

But I do like using paper ships logs, to save table space and risk of counter-spills, even though they may not be the prettiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbooks View Post
    Glad you didn't pick on your son -- we're counting on having him when we do Glorious First of June. Happy Sailing!!
    He will definitely be joining the fleet!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The "victory conditions" historically were fairly simple: The British sought to destroy the French; the French sought to avoid being destroyed. To that end, then: If at scenario's end, the number of French ships destroyed equals or exceeds the number remaining, Britain wins; if not, France wins. Each British ship destroyed cancels out one French ship destroyed. ("Destroyed" here means "sunk, captured, or otherwise no longer combat-capable".)
    Yeah, I think that's about right. Not 100% sure if these conditions make the scenario balanced (which would preferrable), but it does seem to reflect the historical objectives and outcome