Thread: Requesting playtest, two special ships

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

True, which could perhaps be compensated for by weakening the broadside. For example, undamaged Double Shot Egmont would throw six each A and B chits within B range, while undamaged Restatted Egmont on the test stats I've WAG'ed up only throws 7 B's.

Actually, I was just looking at the nuts and bolts of Warhammer Trafalgar last night... which suggests that carronades should actually be limited to about C/D range, that game having a 1-2-3 range proportion between carronades, 18#-or-less guns and 24#-or-more guns. So perhaps the way to represent it is drawing an extra chit at B Range?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-11-2014 at 13:49.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    True, which could perhaps be compensated for by weakening the broadside. For example, undamaged Double Shot Egmont would throw six each A and B chits within B range, while undamaged Restatted Egmont on the test stats I've WAG'ed up only throws 7 B's.

Actually, I was just looking at the nuts and bolts of Warhammer Trafalgar last night... which suggests that carronades should actually be limited to about C/D range, that game having a 1-2-3 range proportion between carronades, 18#-or-less guns and 24#-or-more guns. So perhaps the way to represent it is drawing an extra chit at B Range?
    A couple of observations here:

1) I wouldn't nerf a ship just because of an artificiality such as an apparently "hard" table edge. Unless its hard for a reason (e.g. a coastline) I'd "scroll" the table wneh an edge is approached (a well used naval wargaming manoeuvre).

2) Never, never, NEVER use Warhammer Trafalgar as a reference!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I wouldn't nerf a ship just because of an artificiality such as an apparently "hard" table edge. Unless its hard for a reason (e.g. a coastline) I'd "scroll" the table wneh an edge is approached (a well used naval wargaming manoeuver
    As a point of principle I get that (and certainly the map edge handling feels arbitrary, and I do generally play using the "scroll" myself). But if a proposed optional rule is intended to be a modular bolt-on, it seems worth considering the body of rules as they exist and which most players may be expected to utilize. At a minimum one might need to cite this (no mapedge pins) as a necessary additional rule change to make such ships work.

I guess a related question is that if scrolling IS allowed, would a carronade-only ship make for good games. But it does seem worth testing.