Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victory & Constitution reverse ship cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    We DO know all protests aside that he had some degree of parental instinct toward Luke....
    Yep, he did sacrifice himself for his son.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Before I submit the order for the X-Wing Imperial Aces Expansion Pack, would one set suffice or are these flow in multiples?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Remnant of Anakin Skywalker deep in his subconscious mind, maybe? Or just needing a Rebellion to fight against for Job Security? LOL We DO know all protests aside that he had some degree of parental instinct toward Luke...
    Close -- Emperor wanted Luke alive, as did Vader; and for the same reason: Each was planning to kill the other, and make Luke his apprentice. Luke Took A Third Option [ http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...keAThirdOption ].

(If you get a chance: Listen to the _Star Wars_ Radio Adaptation -- puts a *whole* new spin on what Tarkin was up to.... >:) )

Besides, Hoth can be blamed on Ozzel dropping out of hyper too soon--Vader's plan was to stay in until the hyperdrive safety cutoffs plunked them right in Hoth's gravity well and immediately bombard the shield generator before they could switch it on.
    Dangerous, tho' -- if I remember the technobabble correctly, relying on the safeties was like relying on any safety switch to save you; the one time you really need it is the one time it doesn't work properly. And (as was pointed out in the first movie), "flying through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy -- without the right coordinates, we might fly through a sun, or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip *real quick*, wouldn't it?" (also explains why the Death Star had to orbit Yavin -- big thing they had to Not Run Into, and they didn't have accurate-enough gear to drop in where they needed to be).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Before I submit the order for the X-Wing Imperial Aces Expansion Pack, would one set suffice or are these flow in multiples?
    Eric, I don't play the game very much, but there are usually multiple pilots in each pack. I think some are considered unique so you can't have more than one on the table at any given time. Then there's the point allocation system, which limits how many ships, cards and equipment you can put down.

Personally I only bought one Imperial Aces Pack and only bought one Rebel Aces Pack at GenCon. You might want more for the miniature paints?

I'll let others chime in who have played the game more and have a better understanding of the dynamics.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, Jim.

To be honest, I am not sure how often I will set up games based on points. I will probably create games based on story, and then set victory conditions accordingly. I will use points to get a rough idea, but I do not feel the need to be constrained by them.

Not being a SW person, I am unfamiliar with the different ships, so I appreciate any opinions.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Thanks, Jim.

To be honest, I am not sure how often I will set up games based on points. I will probably create games based on story, and then set victory conditions accordingly. I will use points to get a rough idea, but I do not feel the need to be constrained by them.

Not being a SW person, I am unfamiliar with the different ships, so I appreciate any opinions.
    Here are two sites that will help:

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wi...iniatures_Wiki

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I would start with the core set. This gives you a rebel X-Wing fighter and two Imperial TIE fighters. I would then get a second X-Wing and/or Y-Wing fighter. If you get the Imperial Aces set on sale, that should give you enough to start with.
    Last edited by Coog; 08-21-2014 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Nah, the Empire was never hard line enough for me
    I don't know...it would've been tough on French Admirals.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I bought 2 sets & picked up the complete wave 5 set at GenCon. I figured i would want a pair of royal guard ties.

Not a points player either but like epic play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    picked up the complete wave 5 set at GenCon.
    Can't wait to get the YT-2400 and Dash Rendar.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the links, Bobby. Looks like there is a lot for me to catch up on.

I think I will follow suit Tommy.

Before I get hung up on this, what is the going price for the Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Before I get hung up on this, what is the going price for the Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack?
    $20 on CSI - but out of stock. I hope it gets reprinted.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

VT-49 Decimator is pretty awesome in person. I only bought one, but might have to pick up a second, maybe?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=4869

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well, I just ordered two sets, and worse, in talking with George, he asked that I put in two more for him. Something tells me it is dangerous spending time with friends who are gamers.

Jim, how big is that ship compared to the ones I just bought?

It usually goes for about $30 retail but as Eric pointed out it can be had for $20 from online sources. The problem right now is that it is out of stock at most places. I have no doubt that it will be back just as quick as they can reprinted.

Well, I just ordered two sets, and worse, in talking with George, he asked that I put in two more for him. Something tells me it is dangerous spending time with friends who are gamers.

Jim, how big is that ship compared to the ones I just bought?
    Two of the Aces sets or core sets?

The Decimator is quite a bit larger than the standard ships.

Here is a X-Wing and the Millennium Falcon...and the Decimator is larger than the Falcon.

Name:  DSCN1776s.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  199.6 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 08-21-2014 at 21:24.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Two Ace sets. That gives me four of this type of ship. I am not too concerned about paints; for me, X-Wing will simply be a game. The primary reason I am jumping in is that I think it will be more attractive for many of my students. Once they play it a few times, I will introduce them to WoG and SoG. I have some students who might enjoy the historical games outright, but for many, Star Wars is far more familiar.

Having played X-Wing once, I can say it is a fun game in its own right as well. I liked the differences from WoG; it felt like a different game, yet very easy to learn the basic rules given the similarities.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the photo and cartoon, Bobby. The photo gives me a good idea. The cartoon looks foretelling.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the cartoon, Bobby. The same thing tends to happen with any collectible miniatures game, including 'Sails of Glory'.

Great cartoon Bob. Strikes close to home for most of us.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Eric, Bobby gave you the same answer I would have. The Decimator is much larger than the Falcon. Rebel Aces will probably be a good set to pick up when it hits retail. A-Wing is a fast popular ship.

Around here I think the Empire and Slave One rule however?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Around here I think the Empire and Slave One rule however?
    Are we talking SW stuff or British Empire and press gangs?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Are we talking SW stuff or British Empire and press gangs?
    Maybe both?

Actually, the last time I checked out Star Wars X-Wing at the local gaming store more than half the players favored the Imperials. And within that group a huge number of players were using Boba Fett and his ship. These guys are not 'casual' players, which is why I've never gone back. I play games for fun; I'm not a tournament focused fanatic.

I think one of the things I like so much about logging on here is that I don't feel like I am on a gaming site as much as I am visiting with friends for a bit each day, part of which is discussing the game. For some, I know, that probably drives them away; for me, it keeps me coming back.
    Ditto

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ditto
    Any chance of sharing a pint in Chicago this year?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

<- now picturing a Y-Wing with smiley-faces painted on the engine nacelle nose-cones...

Any chance of sharing a pint in Chicago this year?
    I'm working on it.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

As I was not lucky enough to find this game in time to get on the KS, and I lack most of the details, I have a question. Will the Victory and Constitution be available at FLGS's, or is it something I'll have to scour the net for at ridiculous prices if I want one at all because it's a KS exclusive?

To add to the X-Wing sub-topic, I've lost most of my interest in SW, but if they ever make a K-Wing expansion I will pick up one... or four...

Quote Originally Posted by RotS-Targe View Post
    As I was not lucky enough to find this game in time to get on the KS, and I lack most of the details, I have a question. Will the Victory and Constitution be available at FLGS's, or is it something I'll have to scour the net for at ridiculous prices if I want one at all because it's a KS exclusive?
    They will be sold in stores.

To add to the X-Wing sub-topic, I've lost most of my interest in SW, but if they ever make a K-Wing expansion I will pick up one... or four...
    It is rather nasty looking ship.

Name:  1000px-K-Wing_NEGVV.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  104.2 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 08-31-2014 at 17:24.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Victory and Constitution will be available through normal retail.

Oh, for the reverse sides, some food for thought... the various weapons loads of both ships that I've found so far.

Victory
    1765: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1778: 30x32#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1779: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#, 8x12#crde
    1780: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1781: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#, 2x32#crde, 2x24#crde, 6x18#crde
    1783: 30x42#, 28x24#, 42x12#, 2x32#crde, 2x24#crde, 6x18#crde
    1793: 30x42#, 28x24#, 42x12#, 2x32#crde
    1803: 30x32#, 28x24#, 44x12#, 2x32#crde
    1805: 30x32#, 28x24#, 44x12#, 2x68#crde
    1807: 28x32#, 28x18#, 30x12#, 12x6# (Lyon & Winfield, The Sail & Steam Navy List)

Constitution
    Des: 30x24#, 22x12# (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1798: 30x24#, 16x18#, 14x12#
    1804: 30x24#, 14x12#, 8x32#crde (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1812-08: 30x24#, 32x32#crde, 1x18# (chaser?)
    1812-12: 30x24#, 16x32#crde
    1814: 30x24#, 1x24# chaser, 20x32#crde (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1815-12: 30x24#, 2x24# stern-chaser, 20x32#crde

Which means Victory could have as many as five different double-sided Ship's Logs, and Constitution three plus a single.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Oh good, I really love both ships, and would hate to be out of luck getting one just because I didn't get here soon enough.

Yeah, first time I saw the K-Wing I was hooked, just something about the external hardpoints makes me happy. And ball turrets, can never forget the ball turrets. Kinda lost interest in SW after I figured out just how heavily it relies on space magic for its tech, and the ships were the main part I liked about it, so, ships don't work, lost interest in the ships, lost interest in the universe, but, the K-Wing will always have a special place in my heart.

I want to make a Deathraven. It's two B-Wing hulls connected to a single cockpit. The firepower of two B-Wings plus two added light ion cannons. I would need to make a custom card.

Name:  Deathraven.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  126.4 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    It is rather nasty looking ship.
    That is a very cool looking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I want to make a Deathraven. It's two B-Wing hulls connected to a single cockpit. The firepower of two B-Wings plus two added light ion cannons.
    Looks like something for Clipper to make.

Nascar Sprint Cup Atlanta speedway 500. Danica started 27th and finished 6th. Way to go Danica.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Methinks we're past thread DRIFT, and have been caught in a current... LOL

I shot my data and a query off to the Andreas at Ares, and I don't know if I'll get an answer or be able to share it if I do, but know that re Victory and Constitution Side B's the data has been sent to Ares and the question raised. :)

Methinks we're past thread DRIFT, and have been caught in a current... LOL

I shot my data and a query off to the Andreas at Ares, and I don't know if I'll get an answer or be able to share it if I do, but know that re Victory and Constitution Side B's the data has been sent to Ares and the question raised. :)
    We have been off subject for a while. Apologies. Especially after the work put in your research.
    Anxious to see which weapons Ares decides on.

But in our defense, If Ares would throw more bones it would easier to stay on track.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

But in our defense, If Ares would throw more bones it would easier to stay on track.
    And sometimes it is nice to just kibitz.

And sometimes it is nice to just kibitz.
    For sure.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Agreed. Two weeks since anything has even gone up on Facebook?!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Yes, i think they give not enough info about the game upcomings, a bit more for the fans would hold them on the line.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

True, gents, looks like the big things right now on Ares Facebook are WGF and the LOTR games.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

If they where clever they release every 3-4 day a picture or a little info, nothing big but enough to let the fans be exited.
    The long time between any info will get some players move on to other games, not good.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Maybe once a week. The rub is, small shops can't do enough to directly compete with the 800# gorillas like FFG, WOTC, E-I-E-I-O... Andrea F., the publicity desk, has a full plate as it is--one more thing I might be able to help with as someone from a journalism background if Roberto's "community liaison" idea gets implemented or better yet if I can con them into finding an onshore slot for me on the payroll. :D

Granted, that would open up a whole new level of PITA for income and payroll taxes... :(

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Ares just posted on facebook pictures for the packages of constitution and victory:

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames/p...14573845256620

So they are finally give as some food.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Arakus View Post
    Ares just posted on facebook pictures for the packages of constitution and victory:

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames/p...14573845256620

So they are finally give as some food.
    Someone might have seen our 'chatter'? I just hope the prototypes they're waiting on pass muster? Fingers crossed. . .

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

So that is some good news and just the requested treat.

Given we will see Admiral Howe and Nelson, Victories 1781 Carronade heavy modification could be on the B-side. Although I am surprised that Howe was choosen and not Jervis, since Howe had only a minor engagement in which Victory did not fire a single shot (his might be false as my sole resource is Wikipedia).

Bainbridge and Stward would require the armaments of 1812-12 and 1814.

But maybe this is covered by the special cards and we get unique ships on side B.

Btw, has anybody news about the scenario booklett?

Victory and Constitution will be available through normal retail.

Oh, for the reverse sides, some food for thought... the various weapons loads of both ships that I've found so far.

Victory
    1765: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1778: 30x32#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1779: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#, 8x12#crde
    1780: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#
    1781: 30x42#, 28x24#, 30x12#, 12x6#, 2x32#crde, 2x24#crde, 6x18#crde
    1783: 30x42#, 28x24#, 42x12#, 2x32#crde, 2x24#crde, 6x18#crde
    1793: 30x42#, 28x24#, 42x12#, 2x32#crde
    1803: 30x32#, 28x24#, 44x12#, 2x32#crde
    1805: 30x32#, 28x24#, 44x12#, 2x68#crde
    1807: 28x32#, 28x18#, 30x12#, 12x6# (Lyon & Winfield, The Sail & Steam Navy List)

Constitution
    Des: 30x24#, 22x12# (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1798: 30x24#, 16x18#, 14x12#
    1804: 30x24#, 14x12#, 8x32#crde (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1812-08: 30x24#, 32x32#crde, 1x18# (chaser?)
    1812-12: 30x24#, 16x32#crde
    1814: 30x24#, 1x24# chaser, 20x32#crde (Silverstone, The Sailing Navy 1775-1854)
    1815-12: 30x24#, 2x24# stern-chaser, 20x32#crde

Which means Victory could have as many as five different double-sided Ship's Logs, and Constitution three plus a single.
    It does make you wonder about what, if anything, Ares will do about sister ships. Will they produce just card sets with new names for the sculpts? Highly unlikely in my opinion. Repackage the sculpt with a new name? Possible. Or just leave it up to owners to make their own alternate name cards.

I'm not that knowledgeable on Victory, but Constitution should have slightly different color schemes for the different periods the weapon loads will represent. If one side of the card is for the early Constitution, the model should have a buff stripe around the gun ports. For the later War of 1812 model, a white stripe.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    So that is some good news and just the requested treat.

Given we will see Admiral Howe and Nelson, Victories 1781 Carronade heavy modification could be on the B-side. Although I am surprised that Howe was choosen and not Jervis, since Howe had only a minor engagement in which Victory did not fire a single shot (his might be false as my sole resource is Wikipedia).

Bainbridge and Stward would require the armaments of 1812-12 and 1814.

But maybe this is covered by the special cards and we get unique ships on side B.

Btw, has anybody news about the scenario booklett?
    No scenario news as far as I know. The only information I got at Gen Con was that they were working on it. One of the scenarios might be more of a 'campaign' than a scenario? At least that's the impression I got, so perhaps they have to make it more manageable.

I hope Ares doesn't forget the corrected wooden combat rulers with the V&C ships to those that didn't order wave 2 direct from Ares (they owe me 3).