Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victory & Constitution reverse ship cards?

So is that impending release from FFG for SW compatible with X wing or a completely different beast?

I haven't got into ST or SW, mainly because the collector in me would take over and I'd buy everything . That's what happened with War at Sea Minis, managed to get them all when a couple of collections came up on ebay, but you have to know your own weaknesses

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Whole different game. Handling of fighters looks more War at Sea, movement more Wizkids Pirates except that instead of card sides you have a clicky jointed tool.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That clicky jointed tool looks pretty decent. I won't be getting the game but thats one element that I do like the look of

I play way more historical games than Scifi, but:

X-wing is fun, my only complaint is the standard movement templates. Unlike WoG or SoG there is not a unique set for each craft, but rather a set number of possible maneuver choices combined with speed. Regardless the game is still a hoot, especially on a day when you don't want to think very much.

I love Trek gaming, as on my profile used to play a lot of ACTA-SF. This is a Trek game with a lot of flaws, but an upgraded addition is supposed to be coming out soon to correct the original design flaws. I still enjoy an occasional game of Star Fleet Battles or Federation Commander. My Trek gaming group got together and we wrote our own Trek TOS mini game that is easier than Fed Comm but makes up for all the lost detail in ACTA.

But getting back to Victory and Constitution, looking forward to these two.

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    But getting back to Victory and Constitution, looking forward to these two.
    Does anyone know what the ship and base card stats are?

I hate to get off topic again but thought this might be a good deal for space games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221469549035...84.m1423.l2648

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Does anyone know what the ship and base card stats are?
    I think it is still a secret. DB or David might know but are probably sworn to secrecy if they do.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nothing so far even for us yet. If there were, I couldn't give you the stats, but if I saw something I liked I could tell you that I saw something I liked... so me not saying anything can mean "bad news", "neutral" or "no news at all"--and I try to give you guys as much as I can when I can.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I hate to get off topic again but thought this might be a good deal for space games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221469549035...84.m1423.l2648
    Interesting. An approximately 4' x 6' surface would cost about $30 total.

As we discussed X-Wing at dinner this evening, I decided to jump in a bit. Daniel, the problem isn't not knowing my weaknesses, but giving into them.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Geez, Ed, next thing you know you'll be asking what's in Wave 6 and the stats for those... :P

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Daniel, the problem isn't not knowing my weaknesses, but giving into them.
    Last edited by Coog; 08-09-2014 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Geez, Ed, next thing you know you'll be asking what's in Wave 6 and the stats for those... :P
    Yah DB. Are they Russian? Which rates? Have they finally improved the masts? And the stats are? The delivery date is?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For crying out loud, Ed, we just wrapped up setting ship names (some of which under protest or caution by me) and are still looking for blueprints for Wave THREE!

Want egg in your beer, too? :p LOL :neener:

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nothing so far even for us yet. If there were, I couldn't give you the stats, but if I saw something I liked I could tell you that I saw something I liked... so me not saying anything can mean "bad news", "neutral" or "no news at all"--and I try to give you guys as much as I can when I can.
    And in the latest news, there is no news......

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    And in the latest news, there is no news......
    "ON THIS SPOT IN 1897, NOTHING HAPPENED."

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Scarcely able to believe his eyes, Ralph Mellish looked down, but one glance confirmed his suspicions: behind a bush, on the side of the road, there was no severed arm, no dismembered trunk of a man in his late fifties, no head in a bag – nothing, not a sausage! For Ralph Mellish this was not to be the start of any trail of events which would not, in no time at all, involve him in neither a tangled knot of suspicion nor any web of lies, which would - had he been not uninvolved - surely have led him to no other place than the Central Criminal Court of the Old Bailey. But it was not to be!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*stares pointedly at both Frenchy and David*

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Scarcely able to believe his eyes, Ralph Mellish looked down, but one glance confirmed his suspicions: behind a bush, on the side of the road, there was no severed arm, no dismembered trunk of a man in his late fifties, no head in a bag – nothing, not a sausage! For Ralph Mellish this was not to be the start of any trail of events which would not, in no time at all, involve him in neither a tangled knot of suspicion nor any web of lies, which would - had he been not uninvolved - surely have led him to no other place than the Central Criminal Court of the Old Bailey. But it was not to be!
    Awesome.

Time to break out some Python.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sorry, I only deal with automatics.

OH! You meant MONTY Python, not COLT Python! LOL

Sorry, I only deal with automatics.
    But sometimes you can have fun with a revolver that you just can't have with an automatic!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mixed news. I am glad they are correcting the masts; I am saddened at the low prospect of new ships anytime this year or even the first quarter of next year. I hope this game does not slip because of it. I fear folks will move onto other games. I did a KS for a mini-based game, and am still waiting for the remainder of the components to arrive. I was pretty excited about the game, stretch goals, etc. Now, I am not even thinking about it. Similar feelings to the Conflict of Heroes series by Academy Games. Bought the suite at Origins 2013, but the promised new releases haven't been released, while the company has been putting out other game lines. I wonder about CoH's future. Like many, I have started looking at other WWII tactical game series. I don't plan on dropping SoG, but I fear others will.
    Every day, I check out the daily sales on Coolstuffinc; I have my eye on several wargames. Today, the KS game mentioned above is on the daily sale list, and was there a couple of weeks ago. To me, this seems an indication that the game is not moving. I cannot help but think if the company had been quicker on getting us the remaining components, folks would have been playing this game more, and others might have bought in. As it is, when the remaining components do arrive, I will probably be scratching my head wondering what is in the box before I open it and see; basically, this game is off my radar. I wonder how true this is of other KS supporters.

I think this might be it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

I met these folks this week at our FLGS. They are really nice guys, desirous to make mats to help with game play. We are discussing designs for WoG. I will be doing some survey work on the 'Drome, providing them feedback on sizes and scenery. I will definitely order from them. The mats are pretty nice.

If anyone has interest in a mat, let me know and I will tell them what you're looking for and see what they can do.

I wouldn't mind a large SoG mat with the wind lines added. It would be much easier to set up and use than carrying four mats.
    Yep, that's the one. I ordered 2 3x3 mats tiled to use for the 6x3 epic games. The image I selected was the Horseshoe Nebula (or Crab Nebula I can't remember) Very nice quality and the images are excellent. I know that you can go to the NASA site and download images to make your own star field mats, but this saved me time and the price was right. This was their 2nd KS, so maybe they'll do another one.

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Confirming some information that Roberto had posted on the Kickstarter Sails of Glory site in early August, it is very unlikely we'll see the Victory or Constitution before 2015. Conversations I had at Gen Con just backed up the production schedule not occurring until October/November, which puts shipping into December. We KS backers can recall only too well how that worked out for the initial distribution of the game in 2013.

On a more positive note I think we'll be seeing some of the scenario winners content coming soon, which is good because most folks want something new coming on a regular basis (as in Star Wars X-Wing, which just announced Wave 6). Cheers!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Of course, the other thing to consider is cash flows... FFG is probably a LOT more fluid than Ares, what with economies of scale and such. So the bigger company can do a better job of feeding Gamer ADD, while... even if we on the advisory team had a half-dozen waves' worth of release candidates all pre-generated up to the "start designing tooling" phase, we'd be competing with WGF, WGS, War of the Ring and all the rest of the catalog for production time and capital. Ares is NOT a very big company, which really helps them in some areas and can really hurt in others. And don't forget, when doing business in China, priority in the factory goes to the highest bidder...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Of course, the other thing to consider is cash flows... FFG is probably a LOT more fluid than Ares, what with economies of scale and such. So the bigger company can do a better job of feeding Gamer ADD, while... even if we on the advisory team had a half-dozen waves' worth of release candidates all pre-generated up to the "start designing tooling" phase, we'd be competing with WGF, WGS, War of the Ring and all the rest of the catalog for production time and capital. Ares is NOT a very big company, which really helps them in some areas and can really hurt in others. And don't forget, when doing business in China, priority in the factory goes to the highest bidder...
    All of what you say is true, but the average fickle gamer still moves on to other things if they aren't consistently fed new product, or word of new product arrival.

No doubt FFG is the big gorilla, but even they have had issues with foreign game production. Last year they couldn't even provide the basic Y-Wing minis for Gen Con because of issues in China. I wont even start on the issues Catalyst Game Labs had and continues to have with Leviathans.

I know Ares is small and they have more IP's to juggle than just Sails. I pretty much posted this to let folks know not to expect more from them because of the production challenges and the competition with their other properties. Paul did much the same in a post he put up on Board Game Geek when someone asked where the Victory and Constitution were in the pipeline.

I'm not happy about the delays, but I've already accepted that it is what it is.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So the question becomes, what does Ares NEED to improve their liquidity? Galaxy Defenders has seen two Kickstarters out of two releases, as I recall... I would be a little less than enthusiastic about more Kickstarter or Indiegogo Exclusive one-shots, but maybe giving backers a head-start on a wave might work--gotta be careful not to alienate the Brick and Mortar market.

Or maybe that IS a better way... set aside a group of WGF, WGS and SoG reprints that will ONLY be available once a year through a KS campaign--make sure that the groups get rotated and re-offered periodically, though, so that those of us with cash-flow problems of our own will have a second chance later if we can't make the budget work first time.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The SoG reprints ought to generate more cash flow. There are still people wanting to buy Starter Sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The SoG reprints ought to generate more cash flow. There are still people wanting to buy Starter Sets.
    Starter sets are still available, 12-7 games, miniature market etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    On a more positive note I think we'll be seeing some of the scenario winners content coming soon, which is good because most folks want something new coming on a regular basis (as in Star Wars X-Wing, which just announced Wave 6). Cheers!
    For the pirates on the site, Wave 6 of X-Wing release will create a new faction...one made up of bounty hunters, pirates, smugglers, and assassins along with the ships they pilot.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=4998
    Last edited by Coog; 08-19-2014 at 23:32.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent. These sound like my kind of Scum :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

So the question becomes, what does Ares NEED to improve their liquidity? Galaxy Defenders has seen two Kickstarters out of two releases, as I recall... I would be a little less than enthusiastic about more Kickstarter or Indiegogo Exclusive one-shots, but maybe giving backers a head-start on a wave might work--gotta be careful not to alienate the Brick and Mortar market.

Or maybe that IS a better way... set aside a group of WGF, WGS and SoG reprints that will ONLY be available once a year through a KS campaign--make sure that the groups get rotated and re-offered periodically, though, so that those of us with cash-flow problems of our own will have a second chance later if we can't make the budget work first time.
    Interesting ideas. One thing I'm very glad Ares didn't do is make the Victory and Constitution Kickstarter exclusives. With the anticipated delays that would have meant the regular SoG consumer would have absolutely nothing to look forward to. With no information on Wave 3 we still have the V and C to dream about.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I promise you this, having seen the Wave 3 list and consulted on it: Take my word for it, even though we can't tell you precisely WHAT it is there's some VERY cool stuff coming. When the officiall announcement is made there are gonna be a few people celebrating around here... :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I promise you this, having seen the Wave 3 list and consulted on it: Take my word for it, even though we can't tell you precisely WHAT it is there's some VERY cool stuff coming. When the officiall announcement is made there are gonna be a few people celebrating around here... :)
    Thanks! That's rather made my day.

Are you open for bribes?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ed, let's do the math, shall we? If I stick to quiet little notes I can generate long term information value inside, but if I break NDA I'm Burned--whatever standing I have both with Ares and the community Up In Smoke, and definitely say "Buh-Bye" to any chance of that job I'm quietly lobbying for them to create at the warehouse in Fort Wayne.

I do think it's safe to say the Russians are not coming just yet, though... The British and French fleets need some filling out, and the Continental Navy and later USN need real starting, just for a few.

Ed, let's do the math, shall we? If I stick to quiet little notes I can generate long term information value inside, but if I break NDA I'm Burned--whatever standing I have both with Ares and the community Up In Smoke, and definitely say "Buh-Bye" to any chance of that job I'm quietly lobbying for them to create at the warehouse in Fort Wayne.

I do think it's safe to say the Russians are not coming just yet, though... The British and French fleets need some filling out, and the Continental Navy and later USN need real starting, just for a few.
    Understood. (So was the Brit, Fr. comment) I grudgingly withdraw my bribe.
    Also sorry about the Russian backburner.

Based on what has been released in Waves 1 and 2, I would think two would be British and French SOLs of a new size. Perhaps 80s or 64s and maybe the French would be a Spanish ship. The next two would be frigates or sloops. An American 38 would not be surprising. Producing the Bonhomme Richard, a converted East Indiaman, would let them provide another American warship and merchantmen with the sculpt while still filling out the Revolutionary Era but I think it would be less likely. The forth sculpt is really unpredictable, there is just so much still out there with frigates and sloops. A Unite-class French corvette would in my opinion be a big hit since one paint scheme could be HMS Surprise.
    Last edited by Coog; 08-20-2014 at 12:51.

Excellent. These sound like my kind of Scum :)
    I always pictured you as a dedicated Imperial officer type. You know, evil empire 1812 = evil empire in a galaxy far, far away.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nah, the Empire was never hard line enough for me

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nah, the Empire was never hard line enough for me
    WWVD - What Would Vader Do? LOL

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

He should have started by nuking the surface of Endor

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I see you've never heard the code "Base Delta Zero"...

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Makes you wonder why Hoth was such a debacle. Almost as though Vader wanted them to get away (again, and again, and again)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Yep, that's the one. I ordered 2 3x3 mats tiled to use for the 6x3 epic games. The image I selected was the Horseshoe Nebula (or Crab Nebula I can't remember) Very nice quality and the images are excellent. I know that you can go to the NASA site and download images to make your own star field mats, but this saved me time and the price was right. This was their 2nd KS, so maybe they'll do another one.

Eric
    I will let them know this; I am sure they would appreciate hearing your feedback.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think DB is correct about SoG delays - cash-flow and juggling multiple product lines. Unfortunately, Jim is also correct - many gamers will move on. Hopefully, with GenCon behind them, and Essen being the only other big show in which they might be present this year, some attention can return to our beloved game.

For you X-Wingers, CSI has a sale today on the Imperial Aces Expansion Pack. I will be making my first X-Wing purchase today.

For you X-Wingers, CSI has a sale today on the Imperial Aces Expansion Pack. I will be making my first X-Wing purchase today.
    You also need to get the core set and at least a second X-Wing fighter.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    You also need to get the core set and at least a second X-Wing fighter.
    George (CelticCat) has all of the X-Wing stuff, much in multiples. I have the key to his house.

I did throw the Core Set in the cart, along with the long-awaited new Panzer expansion. Now, I am awaiting the new Flying Colors expansion, and several other GMT games. I am impressed with the GMT games I have bought. They seem to be today's version of AH.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

And so it begins.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Makes you wonder why Hoth was such a debacle. Almost as though Vader wanted them to get away (again, and again, and again)

Remnant of Anakin Skywalker deep in his subconscious mind, maybe? Or just needing a Rebellion to fight against for Job Security? LOL We DO know all protests aside that he had some degree of parental instinct toward Luke...

Besides, Hoth can be blamed on Ozzel dropping out of hyper too soon--Vader's plan was to stay in until the hyperdrive safety cutoffs plunked them right in Hoth's gravity well and immediately bombard the shield generator before they could switch it on.