Thread: The log for pirate ship Blood Raven

Default The log for pirate ship Blood Raven

I'm not done with it yet because I'm contemplating Hollywooding it up some more and giving it the A deck, instead of the E deck, but here's where it's at right now:
    Name:  Blood Raven screen print.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  121.7 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Looking good.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nice.

How will you Hollywood it up?

I really like the idea of pirate ships. I think they could be a good draw and a fun way of introducing the game to non-military buffs.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is a 'nice touch' giving the crew symbol a 'peg-leg'. A pirate ship might carry extra crew members for boarding and prize crews.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very nice indeed! I wish Ares would get going on the Pirate Wave. I think it would do very well for them. The only thing better might be War of 1812 stuff?

Give Andy Roberts credit for actually making the Black Pearl log for Jim (Nightmoss). Marc (Jack Tar) graciously sent Jim's file to me both as a Powerpoint and as a photo file. All I did was copy and paste (from MS Paint) using his file into Powerpoint and did a few straight text inserts (the font is actually called Rapscallion).
    Did you notice how the damaged gun factors are the reverse pattern of what they normally are? I used the HMS Sybille from Wave 2 as my basis, but reversed the half broadside factors so the higher of the two is always at the front, instead of the back. This was a vague attempt to simulate an emphasis on bow chaser guns. That's also why I'm considering Hollywood-ing it up and switching to the slightly faster A deck (it's supposed to be an E deck). This would make it much more of a pursuit ship.
    I'm only halfway done with the ship card. I still need to lower the veer rating. The Taken Aback red zone is smaller as the card was originally made for a C deck ship. I'm probably going to leave it there. This even more emphasizes it as a pursuit ship that has Hollywood capabilities beyond what it realistically should.

I guess this will do for now on the finished version. I left the official maneuver deck listed as "E", although I'm hoping to mix an "A" and an "E" together if I can get a spare "A" deck.
    Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  121.0 KB

Here's the Crimson Permanent Assurance (It's a Monty Python Reference). The "A" and "E" deck swap for this ship would be the exact opposite of the Blood Raven:
    Name:  temp2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  122.7 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nice work, Andy.

You're mixing A & E decks? I'm curious. What are your plans? Why the mix? I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Nice work, Andy.

You're mixing A & E decks? I'm curious. What are your plans? Why the mix? I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
    The HMS Sybille with an "E" deck is my starting point for these ships. Bear in mind these are Hollywood fantasy ships.

The Blood Raven has all the damaged cannon factors shifted towards the front to reflect more bow chasers (which this game totally does not model). This is a pursuit ship. As a pursuit ship, I wanted it to be able to go a little faster, but just giving it the "A" deck seemed too much. The solution is to keep with with an "E" deck, but swap out all the maneuver #5 cards with an "A" deck. Highly skilled Blood Raven sailors can get her going fast in a straight line beyond what a normal ship is capable of, but as soon as they start slewing her around to turn, it's back to normal capabilities. This gives her a little bit of differentiating flavor.

The Crimson Permanent Assurance has the cannon factors arranged conventionally and that part is just a direct copy of the HMS Sybille. In the Monty Python movie "The Meaning of Life", the Crimson Permanent Assurance was quickly navigating through the narrow streets of a skyscraper laden financial district. If I set it up with an "A" deck, but give it the leftover maneuver #5 cards from the "E" deck, this means it's turning speed is less reduced from its straight line speed than normal for an "E" deck. I should probably up its veer rating as well. So, it's not a ship that's faster than normal, but turning doesn't slow her down much. I'll probably up the veer rating tomorrow night as I won't get these printed until probably next weekend at the earliest.

Ideally I would like to get an extra "A" deck and then I can label the cards to go with the ships. All I have to do is swap the maneuver #5s between decks and I'm set.

Edit: The ship card wind speed colors I kept from the Black Pearl. The Pearl was based on a "C" deck ship with a smaller red Taken Aback zone than the typical "E" deck Wave 2 heavy frigates. I left it there as Hollywood highly trained pirate sailors getting better use of the wind for maneuverability.
    Last edited by Andy Blozinski; 07-06-2014 at 20:53.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Interesting. I like your thinking on the maneuver decks.

Since the Blood Raven is a pursuit ship, and one I imagine that would cause a bit of fear on the ship being pursued, would you consider 1) extending the front arc, 2) creating some number to represent bow chasers, or 3) some type of impact on the ship being pursued, for example after the pursued ship fires its first broadside, it takes one additional turn to reload the second round, this mimicking some form of terror inflicted on the crew from being pursued by such a pirate ship? With option 3, it could only be in effect for similar or smaller sized ships than the Blood Raven.

For the Crimson Permanent Assurance, it could have a Holy Ball ammo round that can be fired upon the third, that is immediately after the second which can be counted as a means to reaching the third, round of combat. If you reach the fourth round of combat ...

Interesting. I like your thinking on the maneuver decks.

Since the Blood Raven is a pursuit ship, and one I imagine that would cause a bit of fear on the ship being pursued, would you consider 1) extending the front arc, 2) creating some number to represent bow chasers, or 3) some type of impact on the ship being pursued, for example after the pursued ship fires its first broadside, it takes one additional turn to reload the second round, this mimicking some form of terror inflicted on the crew from being pursued by such a pirate ship? With option 3, it could only be in effect for similar or smaller sized ships than the Blood Raven.

For the Crimson Permanent Assurance, it could have a Holy Ball ammo round that can be fired upon the third, that is immediately after the second which can be counted as a means to reaching the third, round of combat. If you reach the fourth round of combat ...
    I wanted to extend the firing arc forward, but I don't have decent software to do that without it looking crappy.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Seymour

Saw this post and had to get out the sheet styrene and greenstuff.
    Name:  IMG_0636.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  102.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  100.2 KB

Sail the Wild Accountancy.
    HH

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Seymour, that's just amazing!! I'll be interested in seeing the ship stats?

Oh, and btw; welcome aboard the Anchorage.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That is awesome, Seymour. Well done.

When you have a moment, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you - http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

Name:  Crimson PA-1-compact.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  108.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Andy, you did keep the firing arcs the same for the CPA as they were for the Sybille? I know you said you didn't have the software to make the change, but I was wondering if Andy was able to help out? It all looks great btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Andy, you did keep the firing arcs the same for the CPA as they were for the Sybille? I know you said you didn't have the software to make the change, but I was wondering if Andy was able to help out? It all looks great btw!
    Oh damn..I forgot about that! I'll have to get back with him for a modified ship card.

I'm thinking on giving the Blood Raven a special bow chaser rule. Here's the immediate thought and let me know your suggestions. I'm not sure how strong to make bow chasers.
    1) Both broadsides must be loaded to use bow chasers.
    2) You choose only one of the broadsides to count as having fired when you fire bow chasers. You can't fire the other broadside in the same turn. Since both sides must be loaded to fire bow chasers, you obviously can't use them again until you load that one side again.
    3) The arc is between the two forward partial broadside arcs.
    4) How many tokens damage? Notice that the rear partial on the Blood Raven is weaker than the forward when damaged. My initial thought was to use the rear partial, but I think that may be too strong. Other choices might be forward -1 or rear -1 for number of damage tokens.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What do you think of a reduced broadside due to using the bow chasers instead of no broadside at all, and the reduction affecting both sides? If in the following turn, any broadside that did not fire would be able to "reload" to a full broadside using the same ammo type that was already loaded.

Turn one, bow chasers fire, reducing each broadside by "1".
    Turn two, port broadside fires at reduced strength, starboard broadside reloads to full strength.
    Turn three, port broadside reloads to any ammo desired, while starboard broadside is able to fire full compliment with the ammo type originally loaded.

I think that might confuse people* and also requires you to keep track of how much of both broadsides are loaded. Extra record keeping for two partial broadsides or when they're not partial or when they're unloaded. I'm keeping it simple and basically within the existing system.
    My only dilemma is how many tokens damage should it be.

*Just to be clear, the most likely application for this rule will be when I'm running this at a convention. The player will possibly have never played the game before. Gotta keep it simple.
    Last edited by Andy Blozinski; 08-02-2014 at 10:19.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Since chasers were primarily used to damage rigging, what about simply allowing a one-chit draw from the "C" counter bag, without losing an entire broadside? We're only talking about a couple of guns at most.

Since chasers were primarily used to damage rigging, what about simply allowing a one-chit draw from the "C" counter bag, without losing an entire broadside? We're only talking about a couple of guns at most.
    Ooo, thanks for that insight. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Since they were used in a chase, they were unlikely to be used for hull damage, but instead used to slow the target down.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Ooo, thanks for that insight. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Since they were used in a chase, they were unlikely to be used for hull damage, but instead used to slow the target down.
    This way, your rule would have the simplicity you're looking for, while adding a bit of flavor. After your previous comment (#21), I saw that my original idea was a bit clunky. Whatever you implement, please let us know how it goes.

Have you decided to use the firing arc as the arc between the two forward partial-broadside arcs? I think that is a pretty easy solution, and it eliminates the need to redo the cards.

Are you creating a scenario in which chase is a major part? If so, I would like to hear what you are doing. I think the pirate ships lend themselves to some interesting encounters and scenario objectives that add flavor beyond simply a British-French engagement of the same classes of ships.

Last weekend, I ran the first game in our newly forming WoG/SoG gaming group. We used one of David's (Clipper) 1/144 scale Zeppelins. The visual caught the attention of onlookers, two of whom were young lads. I ran into them yesterday at the game store, and they mentioned it while they were looking at WoG planes. I think pirate ships could have the same effect for SoG, especially for younger players. They could serve as a gateway into more historical engagements.

Arc is between two forward arcs. I don't have a chase scenario done up. I'm just trying to flesh out the rules for the ship as I'm envisioning how it will all work. It's possibly going to get used in the fog bank scenario this coming weekend. It will be the self defending objective from both sides if it makes it. I still have a few things to do for now and later it will get ratlines and maybe rigging as well, but here's the latest:
    Name:  Blood Raven photo, 080314.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  172.2 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The ship, card, and log look good.

How did you do repaint the sails?

The ship, card, and log look good.

How did you do repaint the sails?
    It's just a little bit heavy on brown wash to make them look dirty. Not quite as nasty as I'd hoped. I plan on putting on ratlines when those come available. I'll probably try something more on the sails at that time.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Andy, the Blood Raven is looking really nice!! The ship, the log and the base card are excellent!!

You were my inspiration, Jim. If things go completely wrong, I just might make a Flying Dutchman too. What was it you used for the green?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    You were my inspiration, Jim. If things go completely wrong, I just might make a Flying Dutchman too. What was it you used for the green?
    I used Citadel Layer color, "Moot Green". It's a really thick paint so I thinned it out with some water.