Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default ON LEAVE.

I will be off site from tomorrow morning until late Monday night. Any messages during that time should be addressed to Keith direct.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

-Huzza! We can do whatever we want!
    -But we do that every day…
    -Killjoy!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! but now you have the run of the ship.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I trust all is well ?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm guessing he'll go to war.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes indeed Jonas. In a couple of hours we are off to beat up some Royalist troops who are laying siege to Bristol.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Rob, Go Get 'Em !!!
    Name:  ECW Reenactors.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  106.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

You know, the Navy was one of the things that got Charles I in trouble with the people. He tried to increase the taxes that folks paid to support the Navy without parliamentary approval.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mornibg Dobbs.

My ex Regiment, Sir Thomas Ballard's RoF is the only one that can claim the distinction of during rehearsals at the Royal Albert Hall in London forming a line and doing the Hokey Cokey dance down the central isle to the strains of " We don't pay no ship tax, we don't pay no ship tax, la la la la." much to the mystification of the Orchestra and other rehersees present. Those are the memories that one carries with them always, and believe you me it was not what we signed up for. just a pity i had no camera at the time!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Mornibg Dobbs.

My ex Regiment, Sir Thomas Ballard's RoF is the only one that can claim the distinction of during rehearsals at the Royal Albert Hall in London forming a line and doing the Hokey Cokey dance down the central isle to the strains of " We don't pay no ship tax, we don't pay no ship tax, la la la la." much to the mystification of the Orchestra and other rehersees present. Those are the memories that one carries with them always, and believe you me it was not what we signed up for. just a pity i had no camera at the time!
    Rob.
    This brings back a memory of my reenacting days...my regiment (2nd NY Regt. Continental Line) was assembled with thousands of other reenactors waiting to march in review before President Reagan, VP Bush, Francois Mitterand, Helmut Kohl, and other assembled dignitaries at the bi-centennial celebration of the Yorktown surrender. The ceremony was coordinated by several US Army officers and was a typical "hurry up and wait" operation. After about 45 minutes of standing in the hot sun, two field grade officers passed near our unit and one asked "what time is it?" One of our more quirky unit members replied loudly "its mambo time!" and broke into a creative terpsichorean interpretation of the mambo with his musket.....the humor of the moment appeared to be lost on the officers....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice one Bill.

Sunday, hottest day of the year so far in Bristol.
    General double marched us up hill all the way to the battlefield without any hurry up and wait at all.
    Never been known in the history of the Knot. Half the Brigade were blown before the battle started. Some elderly Officers did not even get to the field. Even i had to stop for a breather!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Nice one Bill.

Sunday, hottest day of the year so far in Bristol.
    General double marched us up hill all the way to the battlefield without any hurry up and wait at all.
    Never been known in the history of the Knot. Half the Brigade were blown before the battle started. Some elderly Officers did not even get to the field. Even i had to stop for a breather!

Rob.
    "Oh the Grand Old Duke of York......."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Strange to say we were singing that when we reached the top of the second ridge and realized the battle field was now below us.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Strange to say we were singing that when we reached the top of the second ridge and realized the battle field was now below us.
    Rob.
    Well "when you're up you're up and......"

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

We had occasion to sing it on the march at Yorktown when we marched into the trench lines only to be counter marched out of the trench lines only to be marched BACK into the trench lines one afternoon prior to the storming of the final redoubt.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although anachronistic, very apt Bill. When i was there I sang a few chords from " The World turned upside down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcA2pfHes8

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Although anachronistic, very apt Bill. When i was there I sang a few chords from " The World turned upside down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcA2pfHes8

Rob.
    Rob,
    Very cool -- I hadn't seen this before. At the Bicentennial reenactment there were 5,000 reenactors and many many camp followers. What was really neat was the British, Loyalist, and Hessian camp followers marched out behind the troops -- they made an effort to look tattered, dirty, and hungry from the siege -- it was a powerful moment. When British officers commanded "ground your firelocks" none of the reenactors chose to smash the stocks of their Brown Bess as in history (not really surprising since even back then they were going for $600 a piece). Along with the 125th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg (10,000 participants) the Yorktown surrender is one of my fondest reenacting memories.
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would have loved to be there for the 150th Gettysburg, but circumstances conspired against me.
    Next time we are in the States, I intend visiting Cold harbor as an ancestor of mine fell there fighting for the Union.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I would have loved to be there for the 150th Gettysburg, but circumstances conspired against me.
    Next time we are in the States, I intend visiting Cold harbor as an ancestor of mine fell there fighting for the Union.
    Rob.
    In looking for video of the 125th Gettysburg, I found this video of the 125th First Manassas -- I remember many of the scenes vividly -- especially the 50 cannon feu de joie (the ground shook under our feet). I formed and commanded the 22nd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry for all of .the 125th battle celebrations. My unit can be seen advancing on a fence line at the 17:06 mark -- our regimental flag had the concentric circles of stars. This reenactment was pretty cool as well -- they hired film special effects people so we had ground explosions and aerial bursts over our heads during the fighting.
    Enjoy!
    Bill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrsZ9UyWBJ4
    PS -- here's the first half of the film, once you get past the historical framing, the second half of the film shows more of the actual fighting with the ground bursts, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub3cisxbZSQ
    Last edited by Wentworth; 05-31-2018 at 21:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Bill I will watch that as soon as I get a few moments.
    We used to get special effects at shows but that seems to be a thing of the past now.
    I remember one pontoon crossing with charges in the water. JOne went off just as the General Staff crossed and they emerged festooned in vast trails of pond weed much to our amusement.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I remember one pontoon crossing with charges in the water. JOne went off just as the General Staff crossed and they emerged festooned in vast trails of pond weed much to our amusement.
    What a sight!

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Thanks Bill I will watch that as soon as I get a few moments.
    We used to get special effects at shows but that seems to be a thing of the past now.
    Rob.
    Such fun ! One of my ancestors did a pontoon crossing at the Battle of Fredricksburg -- lucky for him (and I suppose for me too or I wouldn't be typing this) his brigade crossed North of where the main action was taking place (although they did take some artillery shelling and small arms fire)....glad he made it back or the world would have been deprived of the wonderfulness of me!