View Poll Results: Do you participate in the Sails of Glory scenario contest?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! With a historical scenario.

3 8.57%
  • Yes! With a fictional scenario.

2 5.71%
  • Yes! With up to three historical/fictional scenarios.

2 5.71%
  • No! I didn't participate.

28 80.00%

Thread: Do you participate in the Sails of Glory contest?

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Suggestion: maybe use the contest to DEVELOP some possible rules expansions for testing? I've been thinking about some ideas for cutting-out actions and other small-boat missions where you have to get your ship within X distance of a target, then you take a certain amount of hit to your crew unless/until they come back from their mission. (If a cutting-out, obviously they're manning the ships they've cut out, which in turn means the captured ship takes HUGE crew-damage track hit.)

Once a boat is launched for shore action or cutting-out, what all hazards does it face on the way? What's Player 2's options beyond musketry to stop Player 1's boat from reaching their ship or shore?

I was asked for thoughts when this contest was in the idea phase, and had thought that there should be a certain "bonus point" factor for authors who try something that hasn't been done before in SGN Official Rules, as opposed to just variations on existing themes. If there aren't existing mechanics for something you want to do... MAKE SOME! :) We already have custom-card guys... are we going to wait for somebody to spoon-feed us, or are we going to roll up our sleeves and help make this OUR game? Heck, look at the A&A War at Sea guys... WOTC pulled the plug on their game, they responded by cranking out their own custom cards and creating new miniatures on Shapeways.

Point is, we can sit back and comment about special rules we'd like to see that the game doesn't yet have, or we can take the bull by the horns, start drafting and testing add-ons to fill those "holes" ourselves and see which ones are good enough for Ares to possibly adopt.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

If you can come up with the ideas, I'll be happy to assist with design, play-testing, etc..etc..
    (I have myself many more scenario ideas which I just could not get into the 'required' format before end date of contest).