Thread: Suiting up for the game

Default Suiting up for the game

I just scored a movie (Hunley) surplus civil war sailor uniform off Ebay. I looked into British enlisted men's sailor uniforms of the SoG era and ...they didn't have one. They either bought their own stuff or every ship had its own clothing chosen for them to wear. Decorative clothing may change a lot with era, but practical clothing tends to change very slowly. I figure this generic looking sailor outfit will work well as a sailor outfit for SoG when I'm running it at a convention.
    Name:  Sailor outfit#1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  100.2 KB

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

VERY COOL!!!

Well played, Andy. Looking forward to seeing a picture of you in action.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

I would wear mine, but only the cap fits now lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
    I would wear mine, but only the cap fits now lol lol
    The biggest waist size he had left was 36, so I have to make sure not to let myself go.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nice! Nothing like a little visual role playing to get everyone into the mood.

I think someone here has posted photos of a Napoleonic's miniatures event where "Napoleon" was in the center area of a table explaining the battle as it progressed. Looked like everyone was having a great time.

I did some digging and it was the Essex Gamesters at Salute 2013. https://thelostandthedamned.wordpres...american-wars/

Also, saw they did the Battle of Corruna in 2012. Great photos here: http://thelostandthedamned.wordpress...g/salute-2012/
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 04-19-2014 at 19:14.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Andy,

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Interesting.

Another useful site, and with outfits a bit closer to the SoG era: http://www.dresslikeapirate.com .

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Sorry Andy,
    I like the suit a lot, but not for Napoleonic shipmates. It would be so wrong in so many ways.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I did some digging and it was the Essex Gamesters at Salute 2013. https://thelostandthedamned.wordpres...american-wars/

Also, saw they did the Battle of Corruna in 2012. Great photos here: http://thelostandthedamned.wordpress...g/salute-2012/
    Wonderful pictures. Those game tables and minis look great. It must have taken quite some time to assemble such a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Sorry Andy,
    I like the suit a lot, but not for Napoleonic shipmates. It would be so wrong in so many ways.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Could you be more helpful? They literally had zero uniform standards at all:
    http://www.thedearsurprise.com/a-bri...navy-uniforms/
    Last edited by Andy Blozinski; 04-19-2014 at 23:05.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There were standards for officers of course, which is the role that you are playing :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    There were standards for officers of course, which is the role that you are playing :)
    No, I'm not. Everyone always wants to suit up as the dandy with the fancy stuff. I'd rather suit up as the enlisted man that's actually getting stuff done.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Do you have someone else decide where the ship is going and what you will be shooting at when you play?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Do you have someone else decide where the ship is going and what you will be shooting at when you play?
    Sometimes it does seem that way! I did WHAT?! I didn't mean to turn to Port! Oh damn, I though that side was loaded with ball ammo.

Like it! Kudos for having fun and not stressing over technical details

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    No, I'm not. Everyone always wants to suit up as the dandy with the fancy stuff. I'd rather suit up as the enlisted man that's actually getting stuff done.
    All that gold lace and brass buttons cost more too!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sometimes it does seem that way! I did WHAT?! I didn't mean to turn to Port! Oh damn, I though that side was loaded with ball ammo.
    I have often felt this way when playing WoG. I thought I would end up in one place, but did so in another.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Could you be more helpful? They literally had zero uniform standards at all:
    http://www.thedearsurprise.com/a-bri...navy-uniforms/
    Hi Andy,
    Sorry for the late reply. My Dad is in hospital and is not looking good. I have been off line for some days now.
    The collar and tie is wrong, both are so Victorian in style. The fisherman smock by itself maybe O.K. if you lost the buttons. The hat to is Victorian in style.
    For Napoleonic would have been a shirt with no collar or open/closed collar. He may have a cravat with the closed collar not a tie,the collar would stand up and not be turned down. Or a scarf knotted around his neck if open. He may if cold or going ashore wear a short pea jacket and or a coloured waist-coat. Sailors are dandies!!!!! For his head a woolen Monmouth cap or straw boater hat. this could be natural or tared. For going ashore it would have lots of ribbons on it, again dandies. If of a higher rank he may of had a small top-hat (bosun, gunner or mate etc). It was in the Tudor times than sailors started wearing wide trousers (to roll-up). This is a basic dress bar the trousers of a 19th century skilled worker. I hope this helps you. Sorry I have not more time (see above). I do love the idea of dressing-up for games. I do it for re-enactment all the time, so is no fun for me at wargaming.
    Be safe
    Rory

Hi Andy,
    Sorry for the late reply. My Dad is in hospital and is not looking good. I have been off line for some days now.
    The collar and tie is wrong, both are so Victorian in style. The fisherman smock by itself maybe O.K. if you lost the buttons. The hat to is Victorian in style.
    For Napoleonic would have been a shirt with no collar or open/closed collar. He may have a cravat with the closed collar not a tie,the collar would stand up and not be turned down. Or a scarf knotted around his neck if open. He may if cold or going ashore wear a short pea jacket and or a coloured waist-coat. Sailors are dandies!!!!! For his head a woolen Monmouth cap or straw boater hat. this could be natural or tared. For going ashore it would have lots of ribbons on it, again dandies. If of a higher rank he may of had a small top-hat (bosun, gunner or mate etc). It was in the Tudor times than sailors started wearing wide trousers (to roll-up). This is a basic dress bar the trousers of a 19th century skilled worker. I hope this helps you. Sorry I have not more time (see above). I do love the idea of dressing-up for games. I do it for re-enactment all the time, so is no fun for me at wargaming.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Well, the shirt and tie you mentioned as a problem aren't included in the set. I was thinking on just cutting a collar off and wearing a red neckerchief anyways.

Here's a guy that takes costumes very seriously:

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not with those hopelessly un-period NASA Nerd Glasses on, he doesn't! Needs to get himself some more period-correct eyewear... LOL

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

My Dad is in hospital and is not looking good. I have been off line for some days now.
    Rory, our thoughts are with you and your family.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If your looking for a seriously accurate uniform, like Adams,

I found this online store that makes period uniforms. They are really cool, but oh so expensive!

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Napnavy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Here's a guy that takes costumes very seriously:

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the link, Chris. Striking outfits, but as you indicated, rather on the pricey side. I have sewn some period clothes over the years so I know it can be time consuming and expensive if you use the appropriate textiles. Very cool just the same.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Not with those hopelessly un-period NASA Nerd Glasses on, he doesn't! Needs to get himself some more period-correct eyewear... LOL
    Then he'd look like Jamie. ;)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What? The Walrus isn't wearing round-lenses now, is he? LOL

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

I have a repro Kriegsmarine Kaleun Unterseeboot Komandant uniform! Maybe I should create some Germanic Sailing Ships. Bit of a problem there though, Germany didn't really exist then, as it was Prussia and other Germanic States.

Otherwise it will have to be an RAN PO uniform from when I was an instructor with the Navy Cadets.

However, if one is going to be commanding fleets, one should be most suitably attired. Costume Hire maybe?

I do also have a repro Prussian Ensign as well.

Name:  DSCF0415a.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  152.4 KB

You're what the Napoleonic French navy needed for a good part of their fleet, a good Unterseeboot Komandant .

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice, Brad.

Uli (Jack Aubrey) and I are playing The Hunters, and reading a few books on U-Boats together.

The Hunters: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...at-war-1939-43