Thread: Un Trio de Batailles Navales

Default Un Trio de Batailles Navales

I recently caught up with another local Auckland wargamer for a series of SGN Games - as I am relatively new to SGN (and my opponent hadn't played for 6-9 months), AND we used the full advanced and optional rules (barring 1 or 2 exceptions) we focussed on playing 1 on 1 ship actions with no particular mission other than defeat the enemy - this still produced some fun and interesting games. Our first action was a brisk and brutal one with 32-gun Frigates and I've posted a brief AAR and photos on my blog Un Trio de Batailles Navales (1)

Below is a photo of the key moment in the game - where the RN vessel, recovering from receiving a bow rake, deals a decisive volley of fire to the French!

Name:  SOG-2015-XE2-26396.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  144.8 KB

More AARs will follow as I get a chance to post them...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the link and photo. Would you agree with the general consensus here that when using Standard and Advanced Rules the battles go much faster? How many turns did this exchange take and what real time transpired from start to finish, approximately? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the link and photo. Would you agree with the general consensus here that when using Standard and Advanced Rules the battles go much faster? How many turns did this exchange take and what real time transpired from start to finish, approximately? Cheers!
    Game was only about 8 turns total (of which first 3 were fast manoeuvring turns with no combat) - and in real time was maybe 1½ hours BUT we were slow starting and both constantly looking stuff up to make sure we get things right! So might have played it out in 45 minutes if experienced. But yes general feel of all 3 games (the other 2 games were opposing 74's) is the advanced & optional rules make things faster as the ship's damage and decisiveness of actions is much more dramatic!

Here's the second engagement: Un Trio de Batailles Navales (2) - a couple of 74's slug it out.

The opening broadsides...:

Name:  SOG-2015-XE2-26404.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  145.4 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Amazing! Look at all those zero's?!?

Yep - HMS Vanguard was especially charmed in that particular exchange of broadsides!

I am using a double set of counters though - to try and smooth out the results across a full game and avoid a freak set of results early or late in a game as discussed elsewhere...

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for sharing, John. How do you like playing with the full compliment of rules?

French gunners.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Nice , sometimes just a quick beat up the other guy games are the best.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

John,

Out of curiosity do you recycle the damage counters after each draw, or leave the drawn counters out of the mix for the remainder of the game?

I also, started using a complete set of damage counters for each side in the games I run. I don't recycle the counters once drawn!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I leave damage counters out of the mix until a ship surrenders and then I recycle them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    John,

Out of curiosity do you recycle the damage counters after each draw, or leave the drawn counters out of the mix for the remainder of the game?
    The Latter Paul, but recycle after the ship strikes or sinks as per David's Comment below....

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I leave damage counters out of the mix until a ship surrenders and then I recycle them.
    I have not got tho this stage yet:

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I also, started using a complete set of damage counters for each side in the games I run. I don't recycle the counters once drawn!
    Separate set for each side is kinda a cool idea actually - I must say - although not recycling I can imagine being a potential issue in larger games with lots of SOLs on table...?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    Nice , sometimes just a quick beat up the other guy games are the best.
    Yep! The main thing was it was my first games (a) with a real opponent, and (b) with the full advanced rules, etc..., and my opponent Joel had played several games of the advanced rules - but about 9 months or so ago (so was very rusty)... So for both of us it's was a learning/refresher type experience...

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, John. How do you like playing with the full compliment of rules?
    I quite enjoyed it Eric - although found the crew action counters a bit 'fiddly' - I've played quite a few Nappie Naval rules over the years and my favourite has always been Langton's full HTSFCA set (not the CA fast play version), and this gives that sort of detailed ffel without being overly complex...

We did not play the 'Give the Crew Run' action as my opponent Joel does not like that one specific rule. We also forgot the initial broadside bonuses in the first game and as noted in game 2 I stuffed up the collision rules... On the whole I think they are all good and in theory 1 experienced player can manage 3 large vessels easily and not be too over worked to effectively command (i.e. plan tactics, etc)...

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    French gunners.
    Yeah indeed!

P.S. I have photos of the 3rd and last game ready (probably the most interesting of the 3) - so should have the 3rd post up on my blog by the weekend...

And here's the final of the trio: Un Trio de Batailles Navales (3) - a close run thing...

Name:  SOG-2015-XE2-26425.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  129.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very full accounts John.For me the highlight of the actions was that fire on the HMS Defence.
    Well worth some Rep.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Nice accounts of purely simple engagements that prove the game can be just as fun 1 on 1 than it is with multiple ship actions. Love the flame used in 1 and 2.