Another option to address the "more space to work with" issue would be operational games that can work with SGN.

One example is the Cyberboard computer campaign aid I'm developing for my solitaire card-assisted Lake Ontario game, "A Glorious Chance."

After you play the strategy level to trigger any encounters, the game moves to a "maneuver" level on a 1 km grid. The ship counters can do all the interesting stuff from first sighting (max 19 km) until they get to 1-2km shooting range, and then the close action goes to your table or floorspace (or can even go to a favorite tactical AoS boardgame like Serpents of the Seas, Close Action, SPI's Frigate, etc.) And, since it only stages the parameters for your tactical battles, players can use whatever minis and scales they prefer, whether it be SGN with 1:1000 scale, Langton's 1:1200, etc., before transferring the results back into the computer game. You'd can get a lot of the longer-range fun without needing a huge physical space or having to "scale up" your mini rules.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
Yeah that was my question. Having seen some scrums in people's pictures, the idea of having a bit more space to work with seems appealing (at least in principle--in practice I'm not sure I will have the table space).

BUT, this doesn't seem like a system that you can just naively scale up, since you're reliant on the movement cards. Perhaps if you paired an up-scale on the ruler with a dilution of the damage counters it would work...

Or else we could just scan all the cards and print them out double-size--that would be a fun project!