Thread: Sharpe or Hornblower?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Default Sharpe or Hornblower?

I've not read any period fiction for this era. Just lots of historical stuff.

Which series should I start with and why...

C.S. Forester's "Horatio Hornblower" or Bernard Cornwell's "Richard Sharpe"

Any others I should consider?

Both are good, but since you are currently involved in Age of Sail warfare, Hornblower would be my recommendation. Of course Patrick O'Brian's series about Jack Aubrey is a must. Another series you might find interesting is the four book "Privateers and Gentlemen" series by Jon Williams. The series is from an American perspective during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812.
    Last edited by Coog; 01-24-2014 at 13:19.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Both are good, but since you are currently involved in Age of Sail warfare, Hornblower would be my recommendation. Of course Patrick O'Brian's series about Jack Aubrey is a must. Another series you might find interesting is the four book "Privateers and Gentlemen" series by Jon Williams. The series is from an American perspective during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812.
    Was totally unaware (or more accurately forgot about) of Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey stuff (20 years ago I managed a Waldenbooks. My current occupation doesn't keep me abreast of or remind me of fiction titles, lol).

Bobby, would you recommend it over Hornblower to start?

Please note, I'll most likely get into more than one, and possibly all of them, as I'm a voracious reader when I have time. But I prefer to go one series at a time, and I'd like to know what draws folks to one over another.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Was totally unaware (or more accurately forgot about) of Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey stuff (20 years ago I managed a Waldenbooks. My current occupation doesn't keep me abreast of or remind me of fiction titles, lol).

Please note, I'll most likely get into more than one, and possibly all of them, as I'm a voracious reader when I have time. But I prefer to go one series at a time, and I'd like to know what draws folks to one over another.
    IMO O'Brian is better with detail and substance but that also includes intrigue and 18th C English society. Hornblower has more action, but is more "Hollywood". The first O'Brian book is good though and the ship actions are based on historical actions. (HMS Speedy capturing the Spanish frigate El Gamo?). I haven't read the Williams book, although they are cheap on Kindle so I may just start. I just finish a book by Geoffrey Watson called "A Small Bird of Prey" about the adventures of a British Lt (Cockburn) and his cutter. A quick read and $3.99 on Kindle.

Eric

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

E
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The first O'Brian book is good though and the ship actions are based on historical actions. (HMS Speedy capturing the Spanish frigate El Gamo?).
    Eric, which book is O'Brian's first?

E

Eric, which book is O'Brian's first?
    "Master and Commander"

I'd say O'Brian as he gives you a better feel for the period. If you start with O'Brian, I also recommend getting "The World of Jack Aubrey."

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...of-Jack-Aubrey

It's a hardback book with lots of charts, illustrations, and pictures that help bring O'Brian's books to life. It's very cheap on Amazon.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1046
Size:  97.1 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    "Master and Commander"
    AKA - Duh!

Thanks guys!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    ty

gotta agree, O'Brian, then Cornwell, then i tend to skip all over the place

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Here is an excellent site on AoS fiction: http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/authors-a-z

I recently came across some of the Sharpe books at a library book sale; it made for a nice surprise. I believe Bobby introduced me to the series in a post last year.

I need to collect the "Privateers and Gentlemen" series.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Here is an excellent site on AoS fiction: http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/authors-a-z

I recently came across some of the Sharpe books at a library book sale; it made for a nice surprise. I believe Bobby introduced me to the series in a post last year.

Thank you for the excellent link Eric.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent site, Eric! Thanks!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

I'll add my thanks for the link, and my thanks to all of you for the advice!

Thanks for the link.

Never thought about reading Sharpe for naval actions, although Cornwall contrived to have him appear everywhere as a rifleman with the 95th! I did see a Sharpe display at a convention once and got an autographed photo from Rifleman Harris (the actors name escapes me at the moment). Quite interesting stuff including all the kit from the 95th, Baker rifle, sword bayonet and the naval gun that Sgt Harper used.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    mike

Don't forget the Lord Ramage Books by Duddy Pope

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Hornblower character somehow seems more real-life than Sharpe...

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Henry

Alexander Kent "Bolitho" series is pretty good also.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Eric I am on board with that comment. Me too.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is the novel 'Sharpe's Trafalgar' by Bernard Cornwell but it is not really a naval story.

We do not seem to have many French members but does anyone know of a French author, who writes/wrote Napoleonic sea stories from the French point of view?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I would heartily recommend both Alexander Kent and Dudley Pope they're not quite as heavy on all the background as O'Brian, but as far as the action goes they make for very good reads!

As for something with a more French perspective I believe the series by Sam Llewellyn may fit the bill. Most of his books deal with conflict between the British and French as I remember.

Personal favourite of mine is the Dewey Lambdin series on the rascal Alan Lewrie. Up to around twenty in the series, as I've mentioned before (but cant find the post), easier reading than O'Brian who has phenomenal knowledge but can be a bit dry, more current than Forester who writes in an older more traditional style, more believable than Sharp (and I am a fan), better written than Kent who seemed to loose the fire after the first fifteen or so books.

The "hero" of Lambdin's books is something of an anti-hero, totally lacking in self control when it comes to women, frustratingly lucky to his compatriots, but tempered with self doubts, saddled with a father who is as bad as he is and children both legimate and not who prick at his conscience throughout. He is an interesting character, rakehell, fearless and always in some kind of strife. I like pretty much all naval fiction, but have to admit I had to work hard to finish the O'Brian series, gave up on Kent and ran out of Forester! I have two Lambdin's to go from those in print, one on the way now. I recommend them for the nice balance of action, historical and nautical integrity and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Personal favourite of mine is the Dewey Lambdin series on the rascal Alan Lewrie. Up to around twenty in the series, as I've mentioned before (but cant find the post), easier reading than O'Brian who has phenomenal knowledge but can be a bit dry, more current than Forester who writes in an older more traditional style, more believable than Sharp (and I am a fan), better written than Kent who seemed to loose the fire after the first fifteen or so books.

The "hero" of Lambdin's books is something of an anti-hero, totally lacking in self control when it comes to women, frustratingly lucky to his compatriots, but tempered with self doubts, saddled with a father who is as bad as he is and children both legimate and not who prick at his conscience throughout. He is an interesting character, rakehell, fearless and always in some kind of strife. I like pretty much all naval fiction, but have to admit I had to work hard to finish the O'Brian series, gave up on Kent and ran out of Forester! I have two Lambdin's to go from those in print, one on the way now. I recommend them for the nice balance of action, historical and nautical integrity and fun.
    You would probably like the "Privateers and Gentlemen" series Daniel. They are paperback novels and are easy reads as such, The heroes are earthy and while not French, do share a common enemy with them, the British.