Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
Was totally unaware (or more accurately forgot about) of Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey stuff (20 years ago I managed a Waldenbooks. My current occupation doesn't keep me abreast of or remind me of fiction titles, lol).

Bobby, would you recommend it over Hornblower to start?

Please note, I'll most likely get into more than one, and possibly all of them, as I'm a voracious reader when I have time. But I prefer to go one series at a time, and I'd like to know what draws folks to one over another.
IMO O'Brian is better with detail and substance but that also includes intrigue and 18th C English society. Hornblower has more action, but is more "Hollywood". The first O'Brian book is good though and the ship actions are based on historical actions. (HMS Speedy capturing the Spanish frigate El Gamo?). I haven't read the Williams book, although they are cheap on Kindle so I may just start. I just finish a book by Geoffrey Watson called "A Small Bird of Prey" about the adventures of a British Lt (Cockburn) and his cutter. A quick read and $3.99 on Kindle.

Eric