Thread: Found something interesting...

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Found something interesting...

Found a possibly useful resource--NMM Greenwich has a portion of their draughts collection scanned and posted online. Navigation is a little sticky, you basically have to search specifically for the ship you're looking for, but it's better than nothing.

For example, a couple 74's designed by Sir John Henslow where one supposedly evolved from the other...
    1794 Mars:

1800 Courageux:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collect...eBy=collection
    NOTE: Wide screens work better for viewing the images, as do 17" or bigger screens.

Of course, they'd like to SELL higher-res scans, but the "large" when you click the little double-headed arrow at top right of the image should be enough if you're just looking for "Can X stand in for Y?" level stuff. Sometime next week, I plan to toss up a thread with those images so we can try to figure out how far sculpts can be stretched...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Those drawings are wonderful. Thanks for posting. They claim over 1 million plans are in the collections!?!? Incredible!!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Everything from deck plans to gun carriages to individual blocks and tackles. Not everything is the nice "lines and side elevations" that we need to design models or determine sculpt stretch...

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

This is a great site, DB. I spent some time on it before perusing the images.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Now if we could just build a copy in 1:1000, wouldn't that be a killer table to game on? Of course, a similar one of Toulon would be nice too...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Oh wow. I found the Royal Sovereign, or so they think? Wish the Spanish had something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rory's port is very nice. Ever since I saw it, it kind of ruined plain game surfaces for me, especially if shore scenarios play a significant role.

For the Port of London being discussed: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ht=port+london

Hopefully, Rory's pictures will be restored: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ight=port+rory

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

1. Which Royal Sovereign? and 2. Why do you think I always start tearing into things with the Royal Navy? Their docs are the best preserved from the time, French runner-up (largely thanks to wholesale capture by the RN LOL), Spanish seem to have just let the shipwrights do as they darn well pleased.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    1. Which Royal Sovereign? and 2. Why do you think I always start tearing into things with the Royal Navy? Their docs are the best preserved from the time, French runner-up (largely thanks to wholesale capture by the RN LOL), Spanish seem to have just let the shipwrights do as they darn well pleased.
    1786: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collect...cts/79792.html

And I even found one for the captured French ship 'Monarch". Again, a very nice site.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Jim--just wanted to keep that clear for everybody given how the Royal Navy replaced ships under a given name as readily as a shark's jaw does teeth... LOL

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was a good 'find', Diamondback.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Interesting one!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks, Jim--just wanted to keep that clear for everybody given how the Royal Navy replaced ships under a given name as readily as a shark's jaw does teeth... LOL
    I just saw the Royal Sovereign as one of the new ships in Wave 2!! The flip side will be HMS Britannia. Can't wait!!!

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-...ps-of-the-line

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

1. Which Royal Sovereign? and 2. Why do you think I always start tearing into things with the Royal Navy? Their docs are the best preserved from the time,
    Plus, the British occasionally "took off" the lines of acquired foreign ships (tho' this occasionally led to reproduction errors); so some foreign ships which otherwise might have been lost were preserved.