Thread: On this day 29 December - the USS Constitution defats the HMS Java

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 29 December - the USS Constitution defats the HMS Java

Captain Lambert of the Java was a well-qualified officer, having seen much combat during his service. Java had more than a full crew, having been rounded out while in Portsmouth; however many were landsmen still raw to service at sea, and even more damning to her cause, they had only practiced gunnery once without shot loaded in the guns. Still, Java was well supplied and manned, and would prove to be well handled and well fought. USS Constitution had an experienced crew manning a heavy frigate carrying 54 cannon: twenty-four 24-pounder guns and thirty 32-pounder carronades, plus two 18-pounder bow chasers.

On 13 December 1812, sailing from Boston by way of Cape Verde the USS Constitution, under the command of Captain William Bainbridge, accompanied by USS Hornet, commanded by James Lawrence, arrived off the coast of Brazil at St. Salvador. On the 26th the Hornet was sent to its port to communicate with the American consul stationed there. On the 29th at 9:00 AM still out at high sea in search of prizes crewmen aloft the Constitution sighted strange sails on the distant horizon. Bainbridge initially was unsure of the disposition of the ships, but hours later as they drew closer he was able to discern that the approaching vessels were large and now assumed them to be British. To ascertain the disposition of the unidentified ships the Constitution hoisted private signals (flags) at 11:30 AM, while the assumed British vessel also hoisted its signals, but neither ship made the correct counter-signal.

Constitution tacking the wind made her way from the neutral Portuguese territorial waters with Java giving chase. The following day at 12:30 PM Java hoisted her colors and ensign with Constitution hoisting her colors in reply with. With the dispositions of each ship confirmed Java with the weather gauge to her advantage came about to position herself to rake the Constitution. Being French-built, she was comparatively light for a frigate and was consequently faster and more maneuverable than Constitution. In reply Constitution fired a shot across her bow with Java returning fire with a full broadside.

Java started the battle badly out-matched both in terms of the experience of her crew and the weight of her broadside. Constitution with her experienced commander and crew countered by not shortening sail as was standard (this reduced strain on the masts thus making it less likely to lose a mast under fire). By 2 PM both ships were heading southeast. The opening phase of the action comprised both ships turning to and from attempting to get the better position for which to fire upon and rake the other, but with little success. Bainbridge now wore Constitution to a matching course and opened fire with a broadside at half a mile. This broadside accomplished nothing and forced Bainbridge to risk raking to close Java. Another broadside from Java carried away Constitution's helm, disabling her rudder and leaving Bainbridge severely wounded, however he still maintained command refusing to sit out the battle. Again both ships began firing broadsides but by now Java had a mast and sail falling over her starboard side that prevented most of her guns on that side from firing, which also prevented her from laying alongside Constitution. The guns that attempted to fire only managed to set the fallen sail and rigging ablaze from the fiery blasts of those guns.

Constitution's accuracy of fire and the greater weight of her broadside put the much smaller Java at a large disadvantage. Within one hour, after several close encounters involving the various rigging of each ship getting entangled with the other Java's masts collapsed. During this encounter a sharpshooter aloft in Constitution's mortally wounded Lambert. Lieutenant Chads now took over command, assisted by the captain in transit to his ship. Bainbridge used this opportunity to distance the Constitution so as to make immediately needed repairs, taking approximately an hour's time. However clearing the masts and fallen rigging aboard Java had hardly begun when the Constitution returned from repairing her damage and immediately took a raking position from which Java could not defend herself and Lieutenant Chads had no choice but to strike colors and surrender Java. The Constitution hoisted out a boat sending First Lieutenant Parker to take possession of the prize.

In the battle, Java suffered 22 men killed, including Lambert, and 102 wounded. Constitution lost nine dead initially and 57 wounded, including Bainbridge. Some four or five wounded died later of their wounds. In the course of battle the Java was rendered a dismasted hulk that was not fit to be taken as a whole prize. Instead Bainbridge removed her helm and installed it on the Constitution, replacing the one that had been shot away. On New Year's Day 1813, two days after the engagement Bainbridge gave the order to set the stricken vessel ablaze where it subsequently blew up.

Upon learning of the death of Captain Lambert. Commodore Bainbridge expressed deep sorrow for a commander he credited to be brave and noble. On 23 April 1813, Lieutenant Chads and the other surviving officers and men of the Java faced the customary court martial aboard Gladiator for the loss of their ship. They were honourably acquitted.

William Bainbridge

Name:  29 William_Bainbridge.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  36.6 KB

The Engagement

Name:  29 Constitution-Java_battle_plan.png
Views: 751
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  29 PaintingConstitutioninacrion.jpg
Views: 3780
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  29 MAAC2127.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  60.0 KB

For additional reading:
    http://www.1812privateers.org/NAVAL/java.html

The text of today's event is taken directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Java_(1811)
    Last edited by 7eat51; 12-29-2013 at 00:12.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Using Java's wheel to replace the one shot away is a good example of the ingenuity of the shipwrights, or "chippies" of the day. Something that is being lost in lean manned navies of today.

The wheel was replaced, probably sometime in 1813. I wonder what happened to it?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    In the course of battle the Java was rendered a dismasted hulk that was not fit to be taken as a whole prize. Instead Bainbridge removed her helm and installed it on the Constitution, replacing the one that had been shot away. On New Year's Day 1813, two days after the engagement Bainbridge gave the order to set the stricken vessel ablaze where it subsequently blew up.
    So part of the Java lives on as part of the Constitution?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

From this document it sounds like Java's wheel was removed sometime in 1813 as part of the overall repair work on the Constitution. What eventually happened to Java's wheel is not mentioned. There are additional Constitution wheel stories I've never been aware of.

http://www.history.navy.mil/USSCTour...utionWheel.pdf

The wheel was probably looked upon as junk at the time and thrown away upon repairs. What a great museum piece it would have made if those of the time only realized its future value.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    So part of the Java lives on as part of the Constitution?
    No, as I said it was replaced in 1813 and disappeared. Odd as trophies were often retained. I expect Java's ensign is somewhere - anyone know more?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I expect Java's ensign is somewhere - anyone know more?
    Not sure where it is but here is a photo of it:

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  41.5 KB

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...0&pNum=&pos=13

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

<thinks> I'll ask my chums at the Washington Navy Yard - the museum there almost certainly has tabs on it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

No, as I said it was replaced in 1813 and disappeared. Odd as trophies were often retained. I expect Java's ensign is somewhere - anyone know more?
    While Bobby found a photo of the ensign. I found via the USS Consititution Museum website that someone took a Bible off the HMS Java.

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org...r/prod/496/25/

And from Bainbridge's journal, "a muster book, Watch List and quarter Bills" were also removed.

http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/war1812/const6.htm

So, as you said lots of trophies were removed from various ships, some of which may have disappeared into private hands or are buried in physical collections not documented on the Internet.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

lol, reading the title has me thinking of the Adipose

Here are some more flag trophies:

Name:  Boxer.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  36.5 KB
    HMS Boxer Ensign

Name:  Confiance.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  34.9 KB
    HMS Confiance

Name:  detroit.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  39.1 KB
    HMS Detroit

Name:  guerriere.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  45.8 KB
    HMS Guerriere Jack

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

lol, reading the title has me thinking of the Adipose
    I totally missed that.

If that image doesn't make you want to loose weight, nothing will.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the additional pics, Bobby. I just checked the online catalog for UW-Madison and that 15 volume set is at the Historical Library of Wisconsin (where I worked for 22 years). I may have to go check it out.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

After some online digging I found an art and antiques dealer who has pieces of the HMS Java ensign along with many other artifacts from the War of 1812. Portions of his collection were on display at a Maryland Gallery this year. I got this information from the Naval Historical Foundation website: http://www.navyhistory.org/2013/06/w...-this-weekend/

The exhibit was called, "Free Trade and Sailors’ Rights: The War of 1812 and the Shaping of America". The dealer is James Kochan and if you look at the exhibit catalog via his website you'll find the following:
    http://www.jameskochan.com/Catalogs___Publications.html

Which then directs you here: http://www.afamag.com/index.php?opti...temid=354#/48/

If you read the note it appears the HMS Java ensign is most likely at the US Naval Academy along with others taken during the war. I expect David's friends will be able to confirm this, but it is interesting to note that portions of these various flags found their way into private hands and eventually historical/genealogical societies and then maybe back into private collections?