Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Wasn't there an update from Ares saying the kit was still being sorted?
    Sebastian mentioned that a comment was made about 4 A.M. on Kickstarter that they are still sorting out the shipment. and they promised an update as soon as shipments start.

A 45' container should have plenty of height for a forklift to unload it.Name:  trailerdimensions[1].gif
Views: 722
Size:  31.6 KB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    A 45' container should have plenty of height for a forklift to unload it.Name:  trailerdimensions[1].gif
Views: 722
Size:  31.6 KB
    Just to quibble here, the dimensions of a standard ISO container are 10, 20 or 40 feet by 8.5 feet by 8. We generally use manual or electric pallette trucks to load and unload (cheaper than a forklift and less likely to fall through the (likely to be flimsy and poorly maintained) floor

(currently spending FAR TOO LONG looking at ISOs and their application to military shipping!!!)

Going to be tight for shipping to overseas buyers before Christmas. Less than three weeks and in some countires customs will hold things up. Plus the huge volume of mail at this time of year might mean it is a New Year gift for some.

Just spitballing here, but it strikes me that Ares doesn't have enough (and sufficiently steady) volume to have their own distribution center in the US. Probably it's some contracted service, complete with a "we'll get to you when we get to you" mentality. That might help explain what (to us) seems like slow processing, intermittent updates, etc.

Well they did mention they have to unpack everything then sort it, assemble into 1000 different orders with different options for each order package. It actually sounds like a mammoth task requiring really good systems, probably it is all going to be done by hand. Giving the picking required for each unique order, the checking, the packing and the shipping, this would have to take a lot of man hours.

OK, I'll bite :-) playing devil's advocate, if you are well organized, shouldn't 2 people be able to do, say, 10 orders per hour easy? Sort your list based on the major contents, batch print your mailing labels, then it's slam together a box, one person reads contents while the other drops them in (captain-check, smoke-check, map-check, done!), slap on label and pile by door for UPS. By that logic with 4 guys working 10 hours we should have 600 shipped already :-)

Anyway that's roughly the "logic" that led me to guess that the elapsed time is more about waiting to reach the top of some resource queue, but that once things got cranking it should go pretty fast.

Not that I know anything about it, I've never done anything more than a few hundred coalated mailers for church or the PTA

Fred nothing wrong with your logic, unless they have only 1 guy! We dont know though if they have have the stock in the warehouse yet (it should be there as they were expected 27Nov) but they are also about to process payments etc for Galaxy Defenders, not that this should effect anything. Still they probably did nothing on the Thanksgiving weekend, cracked the container open Monday/Tuesday and started sorting. I wouldn't anticipate receipt in the US till late next week at the soonest, though I'd be delighted to be wrong

When they unload the trailer, they are not only checking in the Kickstarters but all the items going to distributors plus what they will keep in stock for later distribution. Then they are put into assigned stocking areas. Then the orders come out to be filled. Even though they promised to ship the KS customers first they might want to have them all packed before they ship. It sounds like Ares is using a fee warehouse (?) So it all depends on the manpower they allot.
    That's one large trailer full of small parts.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

So the answer to my question is "no" nothing heard about shipping out yet

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Delivery by Christmas to US addresses seemed to me like a cakewalk a week or two ago, but now we are under three weeks.

Tis the season for shipping channels to get really stressed (I would say taxed, but that might have an entirely different meaning to some).

Even though he did it in jest, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have discounted Coog's "Pick a Date" of Oct. 18th 2014.

Even though he did it in jest, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have discounted Coog's "Pick a Date" of Oct. 18th 2014.
    However, it could be a good guess for the Victory and Constitution deliveries!

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    However, it could be a good guess for the Victory and Constitution deliveries!
    Thanks for the idea Coog.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Just saw the comments about the Gettysburg movie. Was there for the week that Pickett's charge was filmed (my unit was Co I, 2nd South Carolina). Brought chill when we were on the actual battlefield doing the opening scene of the charge. The part when Gen Lee comes riding down before the charge was not planned but just happened and was left in the movie. Had a great time being there and helping make that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt P View Post
    Just saw the comments about the Gettysburg movie. Was there for the week that Pickett's charge was filmed (my unit was Co I, 2nd South Carolina). Brought chill when we were on the actual battlefield doing the opening scene of the charge. The part when Gen Lee comes riding down before the charge was not planned but just happened and was left in the movie. Had a great time being there and helping make that movie.
    Is there any way that you could post the part of the movie that shows your Company?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Capt P View Post
    I want an autograph at Origins.

I can picture that scene. There were many memorable ones in that film. I love the scene when Chamberlain is being relieved after the charge securing Little Round Top, and the other Union officer asks if he could shake Chamberlain's hand. That one gets me every time.

This movie was the start of my exploration into ACW.

I'll pass on taking the bait.
    If I had a nickel for every time I bit my lip and kept my mouth shut, I'd be touring the world First Class, for the rest of my life.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tony

I just started reading this thread today and I find it absolutely fascinating in it's evolution. Just fascinating. I have to agree with everyone about 2 things: The wims of the postal service and the overtaxing of everyones government,but the most important question is when are we going to get our TOYS?????

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeblackbart View Post
    I just started reading this thread today and I find it absolutely fascinating in it's evolution. Just fascinating. I have to agree with everyone about 2 things: The wims of the postal service and the overtaxing of everyones government,but the most important question is when are we going to get our TOYS?????
    Hi Tony. If you're here for any length of time you'll notice that thread drift is quite common. Case in point; going from the original OP to discussions on the American Civil War, taxes, Sherman tanks vs. everything else and WW1/WW2 is just how it's working. I think the main reason for that is we're tired of waiting for our 'toys' and there's not enough else to talk about.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I think the main reason for that is we're tired of waiting for our 'toys' and there's not enough else to talk about.
    Don't think it'll get any better when we DO have toys to play with

Hi Tony. If you're here for any length of time you'll notice that thread drift is quite common. Case in point; going from the original OP to discussions on the American Civil War, taxes, Sherman tanks vs. everything else and WW1/WW2 is just how it's working. I think the main reason for that is we're tired of waiting for our 'toys' and there's not enough else to talk about.
    I'd actually been getting a bit pissy about the thread drift across multiple threads here until I made the same conclusion as your statement. We're bored and frustrated we haven't got our stuff yet.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

So since we have passed an entire week after the holiday since the stuff was to have arrived at the warehouse and still no word, I think that speculation in the absence of knowledge starts to take hold.
    I wonder if the warehouse in Ft Wayne is one where many shipments from many companies arrive are sorted and then sent on.
    If so, the Ares stuff may well have arrived but is still in queue to be sorted behind who knows how many other batches.
    With the Christmas shipping season now in high gear, it may be anyone's guess when the Ares stuff gets to the top of the stack at the warehouse.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    So since we have passed an entire week after the holiday since the stuff was to have arrived at the warehouse and still no word, I think that speculation in the absence of knowledge starts to take hold.
    I wonder if the warehouse in Ft Wayne is one where many shipments from many companies arrive are sorted and then sent on.
    If so, the Ares stuff may well have arrived but is still in queue to be sorted behind who knows how many other batches.
    With the Christmas shipping season now in high gear, it may be anyone's guess when the Ares stuff gets to the top of the stack at the warehouse.
    I think your speculation concerning the warehouse may be spot on. At least I have other ships and projects to work on.

However, I keep thinking that if I'd been given permission from the powers that be, I could have driven to Ft. Wayne, dived into the containers myself, grabbed just my stuff and been back home several days ago. Heck, we might have gotten a convoy of folks heading there? (yes I know that's totally unrealistic, but it's fun to speculate in another direction)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    I'm hoping it's in alphabetical order and Ares is the top of the list. Of course I do have an optimism bias.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If you're here for any length of time you'll notice that thread drift is quite common.
    I'm sorry, Jim, but I have to disagree with you. Thread drift does not happen here. Has anyone ever seen the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I'm sorry, Jim, but I have to disagree with you. Thread drift does not happen here. Has anyone ever seen the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice?

Of course not!?!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

No, threads here don't drift... they just tack with the prevailing winds of member contributions. :D

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nice one Paul!!

Here's my version; two actually. One from a favorite movie and the other a recurring nightmare I've been having lately!!
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-23-2014 at 21:31.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Nice one Paul!!

Here's my version; two actually. One from a favorite movie and the other a recurring nightmare I've been having lately!!
    Raiders was one of my favorites as well. Very funny Jim! Your recurring nightmare must be lacking a Dewey Decimal System.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Raiders was one of my favorites as well. Very funny Jim! Your recurring nightmare must be lacking a Dewey Decimal System.
    Raisers of the Lost Ark is one of the great re-watchable movies of all time. That being said...
    Did you see the Big Bang Theory episode where Amy points out Indiana Jones was extraneous to the conclusion of the movie?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Raisers of the Lost Ark is one of the great re-watchable movies of all time. That being said...
    Did you see the Big Bang Theory episode where Amy points out Indiana Jones was extraneous to the conclusion of the movie?
    Sadly Andy I do not follow The Big Bang Theory.

Sadly Andy I do not follow The Big Bang Theory.
    It is a funny show about geeks. Amy makes the point that if Indiana Jones were never there, the movie would still end the same way.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yes, I expect they're using the Cutter Classification system rather than LC. Makes things much, much harder to locate (please forgive the library speak).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    It is a funny show about geeks. Amy makes the point that if Indiana Jones were never there, the movie would still end the same way.
    I've only caught a few episodes, but it is a great show and very relevant for geeks and nerds (of course I count myself among that crowd, and now we even have our own magazine)

http://www.geekexchange.com/geek-magazine/

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Recommended Reading: _The Myth of the Great War_, John Mosier.
    Or, alternatively, poorly researched and presented revisionist tosh that simply recycles myths (apparently its ok to accept myths and untruths if they support your own hypothesis) and misrepresents facts to draw an unsupportable conclusion. And as the author stated, on a subject he knew very little about. However, about on par for what passes as "historical"work these days

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tony

It was my understanding (read from Panzer Blitz background booklet that came with the game,years ago) that it took 70% of Germany's war effort to fight the Russians. If you think about it North Africa was a back water front and so was Sicily and Italy. The Western Allies didn't really get "in" the European war in a major way until D-Day.
    I say this with apologies to all who died fighting in these areas as a bullet or a bomb in a secondary theatre is just as lethal as the main front. Once the Allied air bombardment of Germany went after oil then their contribution to the cause had to be considered significant.

I agree about the boredom waiting for our toys. That is why I haven't visited much. I figured when the toys came out everyone would be all in to post scenarios, ship comparisons and everthing else that comes with a new game. The picture of the warehouse looking like the one in "Raiders" was nicely done. I hope Ft. Wayne's is somewhat smaller. I want toys by Christmas.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I want toys by Christmas.
    Sorry Tony, Santa is a little busy with some last minute *details*. He'll have to get back to you later.

Name:  Bad_Santa_I_by_zairia.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  40.5 KB

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

a bullet or a bomb in a secondary theatre is just as lethal as the main front.
    True... And Victory in WW2 was joint effort of many nations (although Russians did suffer the most and fought heaviest battles). And no nation would win on it's own.

csadn,
    As I believe, biggest German mistake was attacking Russians on their own - without Japan, for example (I didn't count other allies). And biggest Japanase mistake was attacking USA before USSR was knocked out of the war.
    Last edited by Пилот; 12-08-2013 at 20:01.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tony

Well Done!

I can't really fault Santa for that!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well Done!

I can't really fault Santa for that!
    Santa could bring me a "detail" like that any time... :P

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

'Tis the season you know.

Getting back to who will get their package first, I would think that even the most pessimistic person would think that packages should start arriving by the end of the week.

Getting back to who will get their package first, I would think that even the most pessimistic person would think that packages should start arriving by the end of the week.
    Really? Given what we (don't) know right now, that sounds OPTimistic. If they ship out all the kickstarters by the end of the week, then I will be pleasantly surprised

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Can't mean him. He was Austrian :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Can't mean him. He was Austrian :)
    LOL!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Let's rephrase... the Messianic Psychopath POS who shoulda been popped like a Zit From Hell back in the '20s...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Let's rephrase... the Messianic Psychopath POS who shoulda been popped like a Zit From Hell back in the '20s...
    This dude: .

Yes, you are permitted to ask "where in hell does he find this stuff?". :)

Not so much where, but why?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Yes, you are permitted to ask "where in hell does he find this stuff?". :)
    I'll never forget the first time I saw the original movie version. After this number, my reaction was like the audience's - jaw dropped. Than I wet my pants.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Than I wet my pants.
    Glad I missed THAT showing!