Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Does it look like your area will be hit by the storm rolling in this evening?
    Looks like central Illinois all the way up to Detroit is going to get hit by heavy snow and then brutal cold coming in right after. Ft. Wayne, IN is in that storm track, which could easily impact deliveries, etc.

Stay warm and watch out for wind chill. They've already closed the public schools for Monday here in Madison as the wind chills are expected to be -45 to -50 at times.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    First, I must not have had my coffee today - Meant to say Bruce (or at least RichardPF) when mentioning you. Sorry about that.

Second, I agree that it will be interesting. On the one hand, given the information available to Ares, I would think (to the extent they have ANY control over this, which I doubt), it makes sense to put your order to the end of the queue. As a non-retailer who is so heavily invested in the game, it's unlikely you will "walk away" under any circumstances. So to the extent that your order is more difficult to fill, it seems like a natural choice to push it to the end.

To argue against myself, though, there's an argument to be made that yours should have been among the first - it's so large (relatively speaking) that filling it would have freed up some space in the warehouse. Why not push it out the door?
    Given that the best advertising is word of mouth, and that profits are highly dependent upon repeat purchases, it could be argued that Ares should have sent things out based on dollar amount - highest to lowest. Those who supported at the highest amounts are most likely to do so again on subsequent releases, and, theoretically, might have the most influence on others. The hard part in discussions like these is that we're only hearing one side of a telephone conversation, if you will. It is interesting to ponder, though, in a case study way.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Looks like central Illinois all the way up to Detroit is going to get hit by heavy snow and then brutal cold coming in right after. Ft. Wayne, IN is in that storm track, which could easily impact deliveries, etc.

Stay warm and watch out for wind chill. They've already closed the public schools for Monday here in Madison as the wind chills are expected to be -45 to -50 at times.
    We're heading out to do a little shopping, then stacking some firewood, then hunkering down for a few days. Fortunately, my classes don't start until the following week, and any meetings next week might have to be missed. Needless to say, I am distraught at the thought of missing meetings. :singing:

Stay warm and safe, Jim. I remember some of those winter days doing FOD walks on the flight line at Truax Field. Wisconsin winters can be rough.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

We're heading out to do a little shopping, then stacking some firewood, then hunkering down for a few days. Fortunately, my classes don't start until the following week, and any meetings next week might have to be missed. Needless to say, I am distraught at the thought of missing meetings. :singing:

Stay warm and safe, Jim. I remember some of those winter days doing FOD walks on the flight line at Truax Field. Wisconsin winters can be rough.
    I feel your pain for missing meetings!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the cold; the threat of frozen water pipes, furnaces that stop working and cabin fever all pile up when it gets like this. I wanted to start working on some of the SoG ships, but it's just too damn cold in my basement work area.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Warehouse procedures, annoying as they are, take precedent in what happens far too often. It would however be refreshing to have a company step up and say, "I don't care about your space logistics, I care about rewarding my big-money supporters first! Ship this out in order of largest value order first to smallest." This to me makes the most business sense.

Of course, I do think it important to point out, I'm sure there may be folk who spent $50 which was a bigger sacrifice/hardship to them than my $320, which in turn was a bigger nut to crack than some FLGS buying several Admiral levels. So, why it makes better business sense for a company to reward their biggest financial supporters first, biggest money amount, while a good indicator, does NOT exactly equate to staunchest supporters.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Does it look like your area will be hit by the storm rolling in this evening?
    We are supposed to get about 6 inches of snow tonight - and then the deep freeze to start the week off.
    My son and I had to clear 1.5 to 2 feet of drift snow from the bottom of my driveway this morning and AMAZINGLY the public works snow plow helped us out. Gotta find the guy and buy him a few beers!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    As close as I can remember, my pledge total including extras and add ons was $3,150.
    No wonder that I'm still waiting for my much smaller $780.00 order. They've been busy loading your order on the truck for the last few days.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

First, I must not have had my coffee today - Meant to say Bruce (or at least RichardPF) when mentioning you. Sorry about that.

Second, I agree that it will be interesting. On the one hand, given the information available to Ares, I would think (to the extent they have ANY control over this, which I doubt), it makes sense to put your order to the end of the queue. As a non-retailer who is so heavily invested in the game, it's unlikely you will "walk away" under any circumstances. So to the extent that your order is more difficult to fill, it seems like a natural choice to push it to the end.

To argue against myself, though, there's an argument to be made that yours should have been among the first - it's so large (relatively speaking) that filling it would have freed up some space in the warehouse. Why not push it out the door?
    Given that the best advertising is word of mouth, and that profits are highly dependent upon repeat purchases, it could be argued that Ares should have sent things out based on dollar amount - highest to lowest. Those who supported at the highest amounts are most likely to do so again on subsequent releases, and, theoretically, might have the most influence on others. The hard part in discussions like these is that we're only hearing one side of a telephone conversation, if you will. It is interesting to ponder, though, in a case study way.
    Sorry to grumble; I had rationalized the expenditure as my 2013 Christmas shopping.

Of course being philosophical, it is possible that the KS exclusive ships will make more valuable Christmas presents this coming year.

(Or the next... just kidding)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Sorry to grumble; I had rationalized the expenditure as my 2013 Christmas shopping.

Of course being philosophical, it is possible that the KS exclusive ships will make more valuable Christmas presents this coming year.

(Or the next... just kidding)
    With 30 Marine level pledges, you could give one KS ship for Christmas for the next 120 years, and they would be more valuable every year.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    We are supposed to get about 6 inches of snow tonight - and then the deep freeze to start the week off.
    Why do I think, here comes another reason for a further shipping delay to those who haven't received theirs yet..

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

With 30 Marine level pledges, you could give one KS ship for Christmas for the next 120 years, and they would be more valuable every year.
    Yes, I may be covered for a few years.

The "Or the next..." was just a snarky attempt at humor about when the package(s) might arrive.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Yes, I may be covered for a few years.

The "Or the next..." was just a snarky attempt at humor about when the package(s) might arrive.
    I know what you meant. There's enough snark to go around for everyone!

Having said that, it's really not a bad investment strategy on your part. If SoG goes anything like Wings of War/Wings of Glory, your investment will outperform the S&P 500 handily (although 2013 was a crazy good year for stocks).

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I know what you meant. There's enough snark to go around for everyone!

Having said that, it's really not a bad investment strategy on your part. If SoG goes anything like Wings of War/Wings of Glory, your investment will outperform the S&P 500 handily (although 2013 was a crazy good year for stocks).
    I had thought about the potential investment value of the KS exclusives and even posted a bit about it, but I can't see myself actually selling them.

Keeping them locked away in a closet forever doesn't really do anyone any good, so what's left is using them as gifts.
    In a few years it might be kind of like gifting matured savings bonds.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

I had thought about the potential investment value of the KS exclusives and even posted a bit about it, but I can't see myself actually selling them.

Keeping them locked away in a closet forever doesn't really do anyone any good, so what's left is using them as gifts.
    In a few years it might be kind of like gifting matured savings bonds.
    Kind of like matured savings bonds - IF bonds had cannons that shoot at each other to little bits and allow the giftee to pretend they are Lucky Jack Aubrey about to capture a Spanish treasure ship.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

AMAZINGLY the public works snow plow helped us out. Gotta find the guy and buy him a few beers!
    It's amazing how a little gesture by a public works employee touches us. I, for one, don't usually expect it. Shame it is that way.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

It's amazing how a little gesture by a public works employee touches us. I, for one, don't usually expect it. Shame it is that way.
    Not to be confused with the one who told my one-legged brother (disabled vet) if he pushed his 80-year-old neighbor lady's snow from her driveway into the streets snow-pickup area (middle lane where the plows push it until its scooped up by the dump trucks) again, he'd have a city cop come arrest him.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

I normally expect the plow to put the snow BACK onto the driveway/pavement (sidewalk) about 5 minutes after I've cleared it.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    I normally expect the plow to put the snow BACK onto the driveway/pavement (sidewalk) about 5 minutes after I've cleared it.
    Yep, me too.

It's going to be a high of 68 here in Houston today. If Ares had put their warehouse in Texas, they wouldn't have these silly snow storm worries.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

@ Cool Breeze, what would the cop charge him with?? Unlawful distribution of flakes of crystalline water ice on the public highway

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Not to be confused with the one who told my one-legged brother (disabled vet) if he pushed his 80-year-old neighbor lady's snow from her driveway into the streets snow-pickup area (middle lane where the plows push it until its scooped up by the dump trucks) again, he'd have a city cop come arrest him.
    So much for being a civil servant - neither word seems to apply.

Please tell your Brother another Vet thanks him for his service. Our returning comrades deserve far more respect.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

@ Cool Breeze, what would the cop charge him with?? Unlawful distribution of flakes of crystalline water ice on the public highway
    That's pretty close to what my brother said. He asked the guy, "Will that be before or after he arrests God for doing it first?". Then when the guy started to get upset, he said, "Don't worry. I won't do it again. I'll just recommend she sues the city when she slips and breaks her hip on her driveway after you guys push snow from the street onto it."

Afterwards, he asked me the same question you proposed (I'm a Law Enforcement officer of a much bigger agency), and my only answer was he might be able to cite him for a city ordnance violation, but arrest not very likely unless he does something dumb while getting the citation.

Either way, we both figured the City Works guy was just having a bad day. Perhaps his dog chewed up his slippers that morning.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Why do I think, here comes another reason for a further shipping delay to those who haven't received theirs yet..
    Is the distribution unit on a ship I the Antarctic? Are the Chinese helping to helicopter the parcels out?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse
    "Bat", not "horse". ;)

I knew it would happen...before some of us have got our KS orders the first products have started appearing on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAILS-OF-GLO...item51b75ddf40

... I could gripe and moan but I have so many other games and books to get through I haven't got the time
    checked ebay today, and he/she hasn't sold one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    "Bat", not "horse". ;)
    It was sooo long ago (1975?)...dementia is creeping in

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Say... No... More!

Now you know why I'm so far off subject sometimes.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Dementia is nothing -- try 40-odd years of paranoid psychosis with violent tendencies. (And y'all wonder why I became a pirate. >:) )

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Dementia is nothing -- try 40-odd years of paranoid psychosis with violent tendencies. (And y'all wonder why I became a pirate. >:) )
    There is a treatment for that:

That's enough to make anyone paranoid.

Oh and no shipping notice yet..but I received a new game from GMT today (The Dark Valley) so all's well.

How long has it been since it made the cut? Flying Colors made the cut a week or so ago, but have no idea when it will finally ship.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsith View Post
    I know what you mean Ft Wayne is 4 and 1/2 hrs from here. Course I tell myself that if they are doing it somewhat in pledge order I pledged, then changed it, changed it again and then added on some other stuff at the zero hour. So I figure between being a late pledge plus late changes, plus being a shipment that they have to add stuff to I may be the final 1% (esp of US backers).

It will come when it comes though no reason to worry about it.
    (That said I still am checking UPS My Choice daily)
    All this talk about the dollar amount of pledges and I thought I read the same thing about pledge order, or at least the order in which one responded to the survey. I may be vying with you for last US backer to get the stuff because I too changed my pledging around and was late with the survey.

Oh well its' off to the UPS web site.

Eric

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Ares Games via Sails of Glory
    We got confirmation from the warehouse that no shipments will go out today unfortunately... (-20° C feeling like almost -40° in the wind).
    For anybody not living in Midwest, take a look here: www.facebook.com/AresGames
    Last edited by Gaz67; 01-06-2014 at 10:01.

I hate to say I told you so, but,

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I was just out shoveling, and a FedEx truck pulled up. Promptly, the driver delivered something to our neighbor. I continued shoveling.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

I don't suppose we can suggest the warehouse workers stay in the warehouse and process all the remaining orders?? After all I'd hate for them to have to go outside into the cold

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I don't suppose we can suggest the warehouse workers stay in the warehouse and process all the remaining orders?? After all I'd hate for them to have to go outside into the cold
    Well, they said no shipments would go out...they did not say they were not working on packaging them ;) There's still some hope.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Doorbell just rang. Four mats delivered. There's hope, yet, in these wintry parts.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ares Games via Sails of Glory
    We got confirmation from the warehouse that no shipments will go out today unfortunately... (-20° C feeling like almost -40° in the wind).
    For anybody not living in Midwest, take a look here: www.facebook.com/AresGames
    I can confirm that it's pretty brutal out there. It's still -14F here in Madison and while we might reach a high of -11F the wind chills are still in the -35F to -45F range, which is projected to last through Noon tomorrow. The furnace is running non stop.

I wonder what the temps must be like in that warehouse?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Doorbell just rang. Four mats delivered. There's hope, yet, in these wintry parts.
    Are they big enough to use as blankets? Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. It's getting pretty dang cold out, and our bedroom heater died.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

The play mat arrived Saturday. My son just called me at work and said that the "big box" arrived from Sails of Glory via USPS. Two hours at the office to go!

My four mats just came in VIA USPS priority mail. Badly beaten up cartons but, at least they got here. Hope the ships get here soon.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mleaman View Post
    The play mat arrived Saturday. My son just called me at work and said that the "big box" arrived from Sails of Glory via USPS. Two hours at the office to go!
    My four mats just came in VIA USPS priority mail. Badly beaten up cartons but, at least they got here. Hope the ships get here soon.
    Nice to hear the good news. Ships on the horizon for more and more comrades I hope!?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just posted by Ares on the Kickstarter comments section 2 hours ago. Whatever could they be planning now?!?! Will this involve Sog, Wog or something entirely new (Pirates expansion, War of 1812, Ancients. or a brand new IP)?

New Kickstarters - we are fulfilling our 2nd Kickstarter, Galaxy Defenders, in a couple of weeks from now. After that, we'll have to digest the lesson learned, and we'd like to propose a couple of new projects.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-07-2014 at 12:18.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hurrah!

No sign here yet.

Well it looks like my free time is gone for a while. My three Captain packs just arrived. One day after the mats.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Congrats sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Hurrah!

No sign here yet.
    I hope your shipment will be there soon for you.

The mats look rather nice, even if plain compared to WoG mats. I think having four of these on a table at a con will be a bit eye-catching.

Well it looks like my free time is gone for a while. My three Captain packs just arrived. One day after the mats.
    Very happy for you, Ed.

I hope the rest of the founding members will receive any outstanding orders soon. You folks deserve it.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Finally my captains pledge has arrived too! Its arrived sans mats yet, but I'm just happy to have the ships after waiting so long. Expertly packaged with all the labels on the bottom of the box that has right way up arrows so its spent most its journey upside down, but every things arrived in pristine condition.

Like Ed, it looks like my free time has just disappeared for a while, I stopped working the moment this arrived today, i told myself id make the time up tonight, but who was i kidding? Now i just have to convince my darling wife that she really wants to play a game with me tonight.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  146.4 KB

(and of course, uploaded from my phone so the pictures upside down. Still at least the box is the right way up now.)